Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

How concerned should one be if their AST/ALT levels are high

How concerned should one be if their AST/ALT levels are high? Numbers are 114/127. I know the liver can repair itself - how long does it take?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 5 years ago.

Doctor Cameron :

Doctor Cameron :

do you drink alcohol?

Doctor Cameron :

Why were your labs done in the first place?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes I do. This was part of my yearly physical exam. Prior to this test I also had a back injury and had been taking pain medication also. I am having follow up work done in 3 months to see if it has changed.

what kind of pain medication are you taking and how much? How much alcohol do you drink a day/week?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was a muscle relaxant, only took for 3 days but then Advil for a week afterwards. I tend to drink more in the summer, which may be why it is high. Typically I might drink 15 drinks a week - mostly over the weekend but might have a glass of wine with dinner during the week.
I see. Well, you are drinking a lot, to be honest with you. That would definitely boost up your liver enzymes- your liver is a little inflammed, which is why they are elevated.
You really need to cut back. Drink only 1 drink a day (wine is okay), but try to drink no more than 2-3 drinks a week until the enzymes are back to normal. And then be a little more moderate.
Avoid tylenol and tylenol containing products as well...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok if I drink less how long will it take for my liver to return to normal levels? If I do reduce consumption and levels do not go down - what does that mean?
Probably 1-2 months
If it does not go down, they need to look for other causes of liver inflammation, like hepatitis virus, fibrosis, etc.. but 99.99999% of the time, it is alcohol.