Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor
8227957

Hello, I have today had an ultrasound that has detected a subcapsular

Hello, I have today had an ultrasound that has detected a "subcapsular cyst on my liver". I am in a regional area and often have to wait weeks for a Doctor. Can you please tell me more. Thanks, Tracy

Do you have any symptom?

Why ultrasound was taken?

What is the size of the cyst in ultrasound?

Did you have blood test or any other test?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.

Edited by Dr .Saha on 12/7/2010 at 1:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have had stomache pain for the last 3-4 months. It feels crampy and comes and goes. It doesn't seem to be affected by eating or not. I feel REALLY tired, but am not overstressed and eating well & exercising.

The ultrasound was taken for a suspected ulcer, but has shown the liver cyst. It says on the result: "There is a small subcapsular cyst over the right lobe of the liver. No significant hepatic abnormality has been shown". Everything else is normal.

It does not say the size, however a full report has been sent to my Doctor.

I had a spinal fusion L5/S1 in March 2010 through the front and an artificial disc inserted. I have had no after affects and back is painfree. I have had nothing else that could have caused trauma to my liver. I eat well and exercise regularly. I am 37, 165cm tall and 64kg.

Thank you for the information,

The cyst can be simple benign cyst. In 5% of general population it can present without any symptom.

Ultrasound done for other causes usually detects it. If there is no symptom, it is usually not treated.

As you are having pain, it may need to be removed by laparoscopic surgery. Another type of cyst is cystic tumor or cystadenoma.

When ultrasound did not mention any cystic tumor, it may not be cystadenoma.

In a few cases it can turn into malignancy.

In that case, it is removed by open surgery to avoid any complication.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.