Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

WHAT KIND OF A DOCTOR DEALS WITH LYMPH NODES. I HAVE HAD WHAT

Customer Question

WHAT KIND OF A DOCTOR DEALS WITH LYMPH NODES. I HAVE HAD WHAT I BELIEVE IS A SWOLLEN LYMPH NODE IN MY ARM PIT FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND IT EFFECTS MUSCLES AND/OR NERVES AND THUS WALKING AND SWIMMING. DO I SEE A NEROLOGIST?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 6 years ago.
Hello
No
The best type of doctor to start with is probably a specialist in internal medicine, an internist in other words.
Internist are trained in all of the medical sub specialties,such as hematology [blood doctor]. So they would have a good initial assessment of a chronic node and could run blood tests and if need be they would refer you to a hematologist for node biopsy.
However, a CT scan or other imaging of the lump might be done first.
Also blood tests, including a CBC to see if your blood counts are OK.

Once the exact nature of what is there is defined, the internist can help you if you need a certain specialist in terms of referral and consultation.
Good luck
Let me know if you have further questions.

Please click ACCEPT to give answer credit so that I receive credit. Ask more if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.

Hello
Please realize that in the addition to the above information you could consider going straight to the hematologist; however, if this is not a node and something else, the internal medicine doctor is a better choice. Hematologists and many other other sub-specialists, cardiologist, GI doctor, kidney doctor, etc.....start out as internists.
Good luck again
let me know if you have further concerns