TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases

Why whenever I change PCPs through no fault of my own (retirement, etc

Customer Question

Why whenever I change PCPs through no fault of my own (retirement, etc) do I have to defend a treatment plan that took 20 years of trial and error to get right? I understand that every Dr practices under their own license but this Medical Group talks the talk of how they are on the same page but that is not true because I am constantly put in the position of having to explain why THEIR OWN DRS put me on a successful treatment plan. Now that I have been through this for 20 years, my "new PCP" grills me everytime I come in on what my former Drs put in place. The sad part is that my current treatment plan works but the NEW DR won't accept it.
Category: Medical
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 3 years ago.

You are correct of course that every doctor has their own way of practising. Just because a new physician may be from the same group as your own physician does not in any way mean they do or have to practice the same way. It would not be reasonable to expect a new physician to stop practising the way he thinks is correct, just because a prior physician did something differently.

The new physician may disagree with how the old physician was practising, and even though you felt it was "successful". This may be because the new doctor either thinks safer and more appropriate treatments are available, or he disagree with the long term safety of the old regimen. Regardless, if he is the one who is writing the prescription and will be responsible for your care, it will be his decision on what he writes.

Your options are simple- either trust the new doctor and his judgment, give his recommendations a try until they are re-evaluated as far as if they work or not, or need to be modified or not; or try to find a different doctor.

Good luck.

TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience: 17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr (The Germ Doctor),

I just wanted to say I had to stop and think about your answer and since I have done that, I wanted to say thanks again because you gave me a thughtful, concise and articulate answer that really helped me. Keep up the good work and thanks again,

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

I'm glad this helps.

Good luck to you.