Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I have a searing pain just under my left shoulder blade which,

I have a searing pain just under my left shoulder blade which, as it gets worse, sends pain down my left arm to my elbow. For two weeks now, I have tried icing off and on and a small electrical stimulus pad ("massager") on the site for 10 minutes daily.I also noticed that a hot shower head of water hitting the site brings fleeting temporary relief. The pain varies throughout the day. I notice it increases after an hour of sitting . ( for tv)Neither tylenol nor asperin bring relief.
I did not do an activity that noticeably brought it on; however, last April I tugged on my washing machine and had a similar bout which went away after about 2 weeks, several visits to a chiropractor and soldiering through using a heating pad until advised by the chiropractor to refrain from heat and stick to icing.
This bout is worse and I am at a loss. Are there other remedies? Is the "injury?" curable?

Dr. Abid :

Hi

Dr. Abid :

Welcome to justanswer.com

Dr. Abid :

Please tell me do you have any history of hypertension or diabetes?

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

No

Dr. Abid :

Any history of palpitations or anterior chest pain?

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

no

Dr. Abid :

Any history of stomach ulcer or pancreatitis?

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

NO

Dr. Abid :

Any relation with breathing?

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

? No

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

I just want to know if I need any other treatment than what I am doiing

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

Do you think it is muscle or pinched nerve?

Dr. Abid :

Thanks for info as you mentioned that you have in your left shoulder blade thatis for last 2 weeks not controoled by pain killers you didnot noticed any activity that brought it up and it is almost continous in nature keeping all these facts in mind i will suggest you that in addition to things that you are doind you should get tablet naproxen 220 mg two tablets twice a day that will help you to relive pain ,to rule out pinched nerve first get x ray cervical spine to see the condition of cervical spine.

Dr. Abid :

And finally as it can be refered pain from different structures such as heart ,stomach so i will suggest you to get EKG to rule out any possible cardiac pain as pain also radiates down to left arm and elbow so EKG should be done.

Dr. Abid :

Regards XXXXX XXXXX have more questions please ask.

Dr. Abid :

If you found my response helpful please click accet buttton so that i may get credit.

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

How long should I continue the current regimen before giving up and going to a live Dr. and when so doing do I call aneurologist or go to a GP?

Dr. Abid :

Well you can use this treatment for 3 - 5 days if you feel no improvement then first go to your GP he will evaluate you properly and also do examination of shoulder and then advise you properly what to do next.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks.

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

What is naproxen?

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

Also if this is possibly heart induced would it last continually for 2 weeks / I would think something from the heart would not be continuous.

Dr. Abid :

Naproxen is a good antinflamatory and pain killer drug (NSAID) that controls pain related to inflamation ,or pinched nerve.Regarding heart pain it is mandatory that any pain that lasts more then usual in shoulder blade radiating to arm and elbow should be evaluated for any heart related pain so thats why you just may need simple EKG to see any problem .

Dr. Abid :

Regards.

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

IF i wait a month to see my doctor(I am out of state) is that too risky? Should I attempt to get immediate medical attention?

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

I did have this once before...and it went away thus i was not concerned

Dr. Abid :

As i mentioned that if you feel gradually pain free with naproxen then continue it for week to 10 days and on possible appointment when you come back to your state get consultation but if you feel no improvement in pain in next 3 - 5 days even with naproxen then you should seek medical attention.

Dr. Abid :

Regards.

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

Ok . What is your "best guess" this is ..repeat muscle pull? pinced nerve? I hear littlecracking sounds in my neck on occasion when I twist it..that's why I was thinking it is a nerve thing

Dr. Abid :

Yes thats why i am giving you trial of naproxen hopefully you will improve :) and in case when you feel no improvement then you should consult dr.

Dr. Abid :

Regards :) wishing you a good health.

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

I'm being a pest but one more thing thing..does naproxen "fix it?" or just be a pain killer and mask the symptoms? Do nerves "cure " themselves? Do you think that electrical stimulus pad would make it worse or stimulate it to quit hurting..shake it out of its sizure so to speak/

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

seizure (spelling )

Dr. Abid :

No naroxen willl not mask it ,if its pain because of inflamation or pinched nerve hopefully it will improve with naproxen and in case of pinched nerve that electrical stimulus paid is good you can use it.

Dr. Abid :

Regards.

JACUSTOMER-ghs81552- :

Great. Thanks so much for your patience. and avice.

Dr. Abid :

You are most welcome :)