Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have grade 1 fatty liver disease and I have recently noticed

I have grade 1 fatty liver disease and I have recently noticed that my tongue is enlarged and uncomfortable. Am I stuck with this for the rest of my life?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

Grade I fatty liver suggests mildly increased fat deposition in liver. It can be reversed with few simple steps - losing excess weight/ regular exercise/ avoiding fatty food and hepatotoxic medicines.

I am worried for enlarged tongue. It may suggest inflammation and I can understand how difficult it is to have daily food with it. The main aim is to reduce inflammation. Steroids/ anti inflammatory tabs play an important role. Antibiotics may be needed to get rid of infection if any. I would also like to rule out other causes like hypothyroidism/ anemia/ allergic reaction. The inflammed tongue responds well to treatment. A physical examination is needed for sure.

Till than avoid alcohol, smoking, spicy food/ have balanced diet and adequate fluid.

Please do not worry, you will be fine soon. God bless