Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

how long after having your blood drawn can you remove bandage

how long after having your blood drawn can you remove bandage? I only waited about 15 minutes. Now I'm scared. Could I get an infection. I'm pregnant! It was not bleeding. How long does it take for prick to was a butterfly needle?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

Please do not panic. You are not at risk of getting infection or bleeding. Let me explain a bit.

The butterfly needle is very small or thin I should say to cause serious bleeding. The tiny puncture it causes gets healed by the clotting mechanism in the body may be within minutes{platelets and clotting factors} unless you have some clotting disorder. 15 minutes is more than sufficient. Infection is also less likely as the needles are sterilized.

Please do not worry, you are fine. God bless

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok it may of been only like 5 minutes I left it allergic to latex bandaids. Am I still ok? It had a gauze.....
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
also.....i was touching it alot . Was it already healed from possible dieases after 5 minutes? I'm worried about staph and viruses. Do the platelets and clotting prevent pathogens to enter blood?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess it was a butterfly was a standard needle used to draw blood! I'm assuming it's that....what happened is that my son was touching my arm asking what's that? I'm scared whatever was on his little in the wound. Or is this not possible? Thank you sooo much. God bless you too
Expert:  Ken replied 5 years ago.

Please do not worry. You are not at risk of infection. Our body is capable of dealing with such minor infections on its own. If there is fever/ swelling or excess redness at the site of infection than you need to worry of.

Wish you well. God bless