Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I think I have a skin tag in my nose. It shows up every fall/winter

I think I have a skin tag in my nose. It shows up every fall/winter when the cold weather starts. I remove it with tweezers throughout the season, and then in spring, it stops growing back. Is it indeed a skin tag? Or does it have something to do with the dry air? It's annoying. And sometimes has led to a bad rhinovirus as I can't help but scratch at it sometimes.

Does it grow on the outside of the nose or inside?
What does it look like?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It grows on the inside, always on the bottom of the inner wall. Sometimes I get them in both nostrils but usually just my right. They're usually like hard skin, almost like a wart, but not bumpy like that. But last couple weeks they've been more soft and fleshy when I've tweezed it out -- which I did this morning and for some reason it hurts this time. Doesn't usually.
Thank you for clarifying,

This does not sound like a skin tag...these do not develop in the lining of the nose.
Nasal polyps are lumps that can develop in the nose, however these cannot be pulled out.

Because hair grows inside the nose, plugged hair follicles can also develop. This may be what is occurring...and they can become infected (like pimples). That may be why you had pain today.

An ENT is who I would recommend you see for accurate diagnosis and treatment. If they are hair follicles that become plugged and then infected, a topical antibiotic like mupirocin should be very helpful.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Why would an infected follicle show up seasonally, and not have any puss?
If no pus, then it is not an infected hair follicle.

It could be a wart (papilloma) in the nose, but these are not seasonal.

All I can tell you is that it is not a skin tag, as these are also not seasonal.

I recommend that you have an ENT look at your nose so that an accurate diagnosis can be made.

Dr Abby