Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.
28687509

I have a hard, pea-size lump underneath my scalp at the back

Customer Question

I have a hard, pea-size lump underneath my scalp at the back of my head. I noticed it by accidentally stroking my scalp. I don't know how long it's been there because there are no noticeable symptoms. It doesn't itch. It isn't scaly. It's just there, and now that I've noticed it; I can't stop touching it to see if it is getting smaller. It doesn't seem to be getting larger. It is just a hard lump; doesn't move, and I am very concerned.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer!

Do you have any other medical condition ?

Weight decreasing ?

Fever?

generalized weakness?

Presence of hair on the lump?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, none of the above.
Thank you very much for your input.

It is very good news that you don't have any of the above symptoms and conditions.Actually, the place on the head where this lump is located is not very unusual and there are different structures which may be present here.For example , LYMPH NODES, and if they are stony hard they might indicated either a local cancer or indicate spread of a distant cancerous lesion.But , if like that , they are most likely accompanied by loss of weight, generalized weakness, etc.Likewise if the lump here is rubbery hard might indicate infection , but likely to be accompanied by fever, etc.I think , the lump you have might be an OSSIFYING fibromas , i.e. it could be collection of fibrous tissue with core bony material attached to your skull hence hard.Such lumps are very rarely cancerous , especially if they are NOT growing also.They can be removed through simple surgical procedure and sent for biopsy if needed.One more possibility is sebaceous or epidermal cyst, which is actually part of the follicle containing hair, sebum etc.But for this lump, this place and such consistency is unusual .You should see your physician or a surgeon and i believe it is more likely to be an ossifying fibroma.God bless
Hope i have answered your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not satisfied with the explanations using "etc."....which indicate an assumption that I know what the "etc." means.
Ok .You can omit etc.because , what i wanted to explain to you was the possible condition you could be having .Unfortunately , without , having first hand examination of the patient or client , leaves you with too much space and i don't think an online discussion can replace a true doctor -patient relationship. This discussion should be duly taken as informative , but to ascertain the exact cause , you should see your physician.Good luck and take care.
General symptoms of almost all cancers are fatigue, weight loss, generalized weakness , and the a number of other symptoms depend upon the location and the structures, cancer affects.Like cancer of the brain accompanies symptoms of convulsions, weight loss fatigue,vision problems, weakness of the corresponding limbs loss of memory, personality changes, and severe headaches.