Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I have yellow-green smelly discharge in one of my ears. My

I have yellow-green smelly discharge in one of my ears. My ears have been itchy for a few years now. In October I got a lot of pain and saw a kinesiologist who suggested it could be allergy-related inflammation. I cut out a few types of food and got some anti-histamines. The swelling seemed to go down. He also said to see a doctor in November, because my ear drum wasn't in good shape. Before I did however, I took some drops for swimmers ear for about a week and a half, as the symptoms didn't fully go away, and came back. The drops cleared out a lot. I went to see the doctor about the state of my ear drum and she noticed a weird white substance, so she had my ear flushed. It felt quite clear after that. However, I now still have itchy ears (maybe winter coming in, more heating and dryer air), and a green-yellow discharge if I try to clean it. There is no pain, though.
What should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

I am an ear nose and throat specialist and wants to help you.

DR HASAN :

Have you seen an ENT specialist so far?

Customer :

Hello

Customer :

No, just a GP

DR HASAN :

ok

DR HASAN :

what he said about your earm drum?

DR HASAN :

is intact or not?

Customer :

he said it didn't look in very good shape at the time, which I imagine is intact, but quite swollen. This was when I was in full pain.

Customer :

The GP I saw 2 weeks later didn't seem to think much of it, but she noticed the white substance

DR HASAN :

Itching is severe?

Customer :

Not as much as before I changed my diet (wheat, dairy and sugar free)

Customer :

but still present throughout the day

DR HASAN :

Have you tried antihistamines?

Customer :

yes, it does relieve the itching if I feel it acutely

DR HASAN :

Any pain on pressing the ear from outside?

Customer :

No, it just feel very dry inside

Customer :

I tested with the tip of a Q-tip and that's when I saw the yellow-green discharge

DR HASAN :

Do you have hair dandruf

Customer :

I do, yes

DR HASAN :

ok thanks for your input

DR HASAN :

There are two possibilities for your problem if your ear drum is intact.

DR HASAN :

First that its a fungal infection

DR HASAN :

Second that its a sebohric otitis externa

DR HASAN :

secondary to the hair dandruf

DR HASAN :

but its less likely

DR HASAN :

I suggest that you should see ENT who should examine you and should clean your ear under microscope and he can give you antifungal drops

DR HASAN :

meanwhile you can start with OTC Tab citrizine once daily to help you with itching.

DR HASAN :

Donot let water enter in your ears

DR HASAN :

put oil soaked cotton in ears or swimming plugs while bathing

DR HASAN :

your thoughts

DR HASAN :

?

Customer :

I can do that, is there any way the fungus is responsible for the secretion?

DR HASAN :

yes for sure

DR HASAN :

but provided your ear drum is intact

DR HASAN :

i have a feeling that your GP was not good at looking at ear drum

DR HASAN :

otherwise he should have told you about any perforation if present

Customer :

yes, she wasn't very knowledgeable there.

Customer :

if I get treatment for the fungus, is there a way to tell it's not working, as in it isn't a fungus problem?

DR HASAN :

your doctor will send a culture before that to confirm this

Customer :

oh ok.

Customer :

thanks Dr.Hasan

DR HASAN :

moreover fungus has typical appearence and ENT doctor can easily recognize it

DR HASAN :

you are most welcome

DR HASAN :

if you are happy please click ACCEPT

DR HASAN :

Regards

Customer :

ok, I will go have it looked at.

Customer :

Will do, thanks.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery