IVY MD, Doctor
Experience:  USA trained physician in Internal Medicine, Critical Care, Anesthesiology, and Interventional Pain

What does it mean diffuse posterior disc bulge with superimposed

What does it mean: diffuse posterior disc bulge with superimposed tiny posterior central disc protrusion an associated mild to moderate bilateral facet joint degeneration and ligamentum flavum redundancy. mild ventral thecal sac effacement, mild spinal canal narrowing, mild inferior neural foraminal stenosis bilaterlly, L4/L5 small posterior disc buldge with mild to moderate bilateral facet join degeneration and ligamentum falvum redundancy resulting in moderate bilateral neural foraminal stenosis. contact/involvement of the exiting L4 nerve rot bilatterally is not excluded. L5-S1 small diffuse posterior disc bulge with mild bilateral facet joint degeneration, mild right and moderate to severe left neural foraminal stenosis, contact/involvement of the exiting left L5 nerve root in the neural foramen is not entirely exculded.
The most significant findings on this are the L5S1 Left neural foraminal stenosis, with L5 possible compression of the L5 nerve root, meaning you likely have pain in the left leg going down possibly to the big toe. If this is the case, then this explains your pain due to compression to this nerve. This can be alleviated with steroid injection selectively at this nerve root. If this is not where you are having pain, then some of the other findings on this may explain your pain, but the most significant finding is this nerve root issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have Sarcoidosis and have been on and off steriods since 2006. Due to the degenerative disc disease is it advisable to take the steriod injection in the back? The impression of the report state Degenerative changes in the lumbar spine with multilevel disc abnormalities and neural foraminal stenoses L3-L4 mild spinal canal narrowing, L4-L5 contact/involvement of exting L4 nerve root in the neural foramen bilaterally, and as noted L5-S1 same as the L4-L5 but with left L5 nerve root in left neural foramen.

Yes, you should still consider it, as it's a very localized injection of steroid and not nearly as systemic as the oral steroids. This would be a much less invasive measure that would hopefully work, so you can avoid even considering spine surgery. That is, if you don't have loss of bowel or bladder functions or weakness in your lower extremity.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have spina bifida as well. My bladder has always been and issue and thus --I double void as we always attributed it to just being weak. My bowels have begun to cause me issues one week every month. And yes, there has been weakness in my lower extremeties. I just don't want to take steriod shots in my spine as I know they cause further bone deteriotion as I have taken them in my foot and in my knee. I take oral steriods because of my Sarcoidosis/Pulmonary fibrosis. I have bilateral scarring in my lungs.
If you are having this weakness and some bowel issues, then I'd really recommend seeing a spine surgeon, either neuro or ortho to at least talk to them about possibly surgery.