IMDR06, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician and HIV Physician

My mother is vomiting blood and rectal bleeding. She is in

My mother is vomiting blood and rectal bleeding. She is in the hospital but they are not telling us anything. She has been a heavy drinker for ages. What do you think the outcome is? Please tell the truth, should we be ready for the end.
Not necessarily the end, however she likely has suffered damage to her GI tract from drinking causing her ulcers/inflammation/varices that are leading to bleeding. On top of that, she most likely has liver damage from drinking causing her not to be able to clot well leaing to more bleeding. Her docs will be able to stop this and she should improve, but will need to stop drinking or as you said the end may come very soon. Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This has happened before but she never had the rectal bleeding. This is her second episode.

She was told not to have a drop back then.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I never got an answer. He just said where the blood was coming from. I asked how serious this was.

Vomiting blood as well as rectal bleeding is very serious. Have the doctors done an endoscopy and colonoscopy yet? This sounds like she has varices in her esophagus from her alcoholism, as well as varices/hemorrhoids from the rectal bleeding. If she continues vomiting blood and rectal bleeding, and they can't keep her hemoglobin up with blood transfusions, then it could be very likely near the end. if the hemoglobin drops low enough, she could have a heart attack. Or she could basically bleed to death if the vomiting does not stop. Hence, to answer your question, this is very serious. Do you know what your mother's wishes are regarding end-of-life care?

Dr. Sciberras

IMDR06, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Internal Medicine Physician and HIV Physician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
HI, that is what I wanted to know, we figured this could be the end. we should be prepared but then who is. Should we get a priest?

well, what are your mom's wishes? does she want to be resuscitated? have the doctors decided to do any interventions? is your mom alert currently?

dr. sciberras