Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
18722459

skin cracking/peeling on index & thumb rt/hand since august.

Customer Question

skin cracking/peeling on index & thumb rt/hand since august. have tried bacitration, neoposrum, cortizone 10 bag balm, vit. e oil, vit. d. a & d cream, bag balm, peroxide, also some home remedies w/raw onion/garlic. nothing has helped clear it up.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 3 years ago.

Is it only in the one area you describe? I take it you haven't had a doctor look at it? What you've tried so far has had absolutely no effect? Just as you describe, without any blistering?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, since august only my point finger (index)? and my thumb have had this problem.. no other fingers!
no, i have not had a doctor look at it, since i do not have one , (cannot afford superfluous treatments right now. i am sure a dermatologist can help figure this out..
well, the creams all have a initial SOOTHING effect ON the areas.. BUT i see no improvement , each time i take off the bandages (several times a day) when they get wet, or dirty, i am facing the same issues of scaling skin segments, peeling layers, painful cracks forming, and again applying something/anything which will eliminate the pain /cracking .sometimes bleeding of this skin- when i move fingers or apply any pressure to the skin (like turning a door knob, or even pressing to flush a toilet...)\\

this is really difficult, since is on my right hand.
in august , now i have determined . the cause may have been when i was processing my elephant garlic, and shucking all the dead crusty leaves off..
(there were 100 lbs or so), i was not wearing gloves, and was so tired after/just went to sleep and did not even wash my hands till next day.
several days later, this problem appeared.
notthing i have tried has made it better. the bag balm, or any such sim. with petroleum jelly seems to help with the cracking of skin and just sooth that part.

yesterday while at supermarket pharmacy, pharmacist said it may be infected..
suggested the hydrocortisone 1% on shelf, then said if this last thing does not work, please go to a doctor. cortizone 10 and hydro cortizone same thing? cause neither have worked. she said it could go to the bone.. (infection? not sure what that means)
i'm needing a remedy that WORKS.

IF YOU KNOW what i'm talkin about here, and give me something that works,
i will pay an additional 10.00 when i see it's working.
we are poor right now. and can' t even afford the luxury of testing/analysis.
so your best guess as a doctor, would be /may be helpful to me at this time of need.
thanks .
t~

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just checking, did you get the above description of my problem?
if not, here it is again:

i'm needing a remedy that WORKS.

thanks .
t~
I understand your concern. I was asking for the information, since eczema, while it can affect only one certain area, is often more seen in various parts of the body. If there were blistering, that might change the type of eczema diagnosis, but the treatment stays about the same. There are prescription medications like tacrolimus and pimecrolimus creams that are immunomodulators and don't work the same as cortisone. As far as what you can try at home beyond what you've tried so far, here are some suggestions: 1) A paste made of camphor and sandalwood 2) Same, but a mixture of turmeric powder and bitter neem leaves 3) Nutmeg powder and water mixture 4) almond leaves mashed in water 5) Witch Hazel Most important is use a hypoallergenic soap and not keep the area overly moist.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
to answer your questions,
i have no exzema on other parts of my body.
contact dermatitus is what i personally believe it may be...

not blistering. although a photo of my fingers may be informative to you? please tell me how to post that?
taxrolimus, or pimecrolimus? how can i gain a script for that without the expense of routine visit and hundreds more dollars here??

home remedies; where can i get camphor and sandalwood?
tumeric, i can find, but bitter neem leaves? where?
i will try the nutmeg powder and some water ..while i await these answers.
since i have that in my resources.

any suggestions why i can not even straighten my index finger? (i'ts swollen a tiny bit)
cracks are still forming.
is vasoline or bag balm a good idea for applying so it doesnt dry/crack so easily?
any other thoughts?
nutmeg/water is my next try at this moment!
hope it works!
thanks in advance.
t~
Well, contact dermatitis usually resolves when the contact to the offending agent is cut off. The prescriptions are just that--need to see a doctor for them. The ingredients are available at most heath food and supplement stores. The finger problem is probably from the skin tightening and the swelling. You can use the tree icon on this page to post the photo.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i use ivory soap mostly. always did.

"Photobucket"></a>
"Photobucket"></a>
let me know if you can see photos.

Yes--see them very well. This is more than routine eczema or contact dermatitis. At the least it's an inflammatory type of eczema, and it may be a fungal condition. You might try Lamisil or Monistat cream, but this is severe enough that you may have to see a dermatologist for biopsy and cultures to find out what's really going on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the brown color is due to the nutmeg, and not permanent coloration to the problem.
is mostly red, pink and skin color normally.
the nutmeg was also soothing, as the other applications are when applied.
i will try more nutmeg overnight on it.

i will get some lamasil or monostat in the morning and see if either starts to clear this up.
will keep you posted! am hopeful one of these will remedy this
as soon as i see a sign of improvement i will accept your answer and if it indeed helps i will add 10.00 to the original price. it will be worth it , thanks!
Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, the choices at supermarket :
when looking at the lamasil, i see right next to it the lotimiin"ultra" that i just bought and tried VERY briefly (for12.bucks )..
it was VERY IRRITATING to this problem.so i have a full tubeof it now with nothing to do with that.(waste OF 12.bucks)
lamasil does the same thing that lotrimin does..correct??

if so, that will not be helpful, only irritate more.
so, i went back to the monostat feminine aisle.. and bought that.
now i am wondering what to do with these capsules which don't go on fingers..
?
also,am concerned if monostat has sim ingredients, and if it will be painful.

currently the cracks have appeared to be more than last night, looks like knife blades cutting through my skin.... and feels just as bad.

when skin hardens it cracks even more. so i have to keep moist, or soften with bag balm.

any more advice on this terrible problem??
.
Unfortunately any topical could potentially cause the side effect you had, and, yes, both monistat and lotrimin are essentially the same. For now, I'd suggest soaking your hands until the peeling skin is very soft, then gently rubbing off the excess skin with a soft cloth. After that, try Eucerin cream and either cotton or hypoallergenic latex gloves that you can wear at night.