Dr. Shahzad MD
Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBBS, MD, FCPS.

I have a low lymphocyte absolute count what does it mean

I have a low lymphocyte absolute count what does it mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shahzad MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

hi there

Dr. Shahzad MD :

how low is the count?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What symptoms do you have, if any?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Why did you have this test done?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

What is your age and gender?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any medical conditions that you are suffering from?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any medications for anything?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know

Customer:

The count is 1.3 x 10 9/L I had a full blood count as routine. No symptoms,I am 60 yr old man, I have high Choleterol(treated) I take Crestor

Customer:

The count is 1.3 x 10 (then an upward arrow) 9/L I am 60, male. Had a routine blood test No symptoms am taking Crestor for high Cholesterol

Dr. Shahzad MD :

what is your total white cell count (called as the TLC)?

Customer:

Is that the WCC?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

yes

Customer:

It is 9.38 x 10(then the upward arrow) 9/L

Dr. Shahzad MD :

that is great

Dr. Shahzad MD :

well, your WCC are great

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and nothing to worry about in that regard

Customer:

So what about the low absolute?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am just coming to that

Dr. Shahzad MD :

the absolute lymphocyte count that you are having is just below the lower limit of normal

Dr. Shahzad MD :

meaning that it is nothing too alarming

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and the most common cause of a slightly low lymphocyte count is infections and the most common infections are viral infections

Dr. Shahzad MD :

so most likely this could be as a result of a transient viral infection that you may have experienced that caused your counts to fall a little bit

Customer:

I did have a low count a few months ago too. Could it last a few months?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Other things that can cause a slightly low count is severe stress, strenuous physical exercise which result in release of cortisol in the body which is a type of steroid produced in the body that can result in a slightly low count

Dr. Shahzad MD :

now a low count as a result of infections should not last for months

Dr. Shahzad MD :

it should resolve in a period of time which is usually in a few weeks at the most

Dr. Shahzad MD :

however with your slightly low lymphocyte count with you having no symptoms I would just monitor your counts and that is all

Dr. Shahzad MD :

just one more question if you do not mind

Dr. Shahzad MD :

are you sexually active and monogamous?

Customer:

I had an encounter 8 months ago, I am divorced. Had all the sexual disease tests including HIV after 3 months of the exposure all neg. I am hetrosexual

Dr. Shahzad MD :

that is great

Dr. Shahzad MD :

i just wanted to rule out HIV.. which you have already had done

Dr. Shahzad MD :

so at the present moment I would not worry with these counts and would just monitor them say every three to six months

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and that is all

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If they continue to drop then I would like to investigate further

Dr. Shahzad MD :

however if they remain stable there is nothing to worry about

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX get another test done. Do you think that the 3 month HIV test was sufficient?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

yes it was sufficient.. you may want to repeat a test at six months just to be dead sure

Customer:

Ok Thanks for your help. What is the range for lymphocyte absolute in australia

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Well, all over the world if the absolute lymphocyte count is less than 1500 it is said to be on the lower side... meaning 1.5

Dr. Shahzad MD :

your count is slightly below this

Dr. Shahzad MD :

i.e. 1.3

Customer:

Thank you for your help

Dr. Shahzad MD :

so that is not too bad at all

Dr. Shahzad MD :

you are most welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please click the accept button so that I get credit.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Justanswer only credits me when you click accept

Customer:

Goodbye

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Take care

Dr. Shahzad MD :

good bye

Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: MBBS, MD, FCPS.