DOC EK
DOC EK, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R)
41140702

what is a left lobe liver mass that measures 2.4 X 2.1 cm,

what is a left lobe liver mass that measures 2.4 X 2.1 cm, where hemangioma and cyst are ruled out?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DOC EK replied 3 years ago.

DOC EK :

hi

DOC EK :

was that mass picked up on ultrasound

DOC EK :

are you using any medicines

DOC EK :

do you have any other medical problem

Customer:

Mass first picked up on ultra sound, then sent to have MRI with and w/out contrast.

Customer:

medicine i am using is 8omg diovan, 1x a day and omerprazole 20 mg 2x a day

DOC EK :

why you have these tests? i mean what are the symptoms you are suffering

Customer:

i have had a lot of nausea and extreme tiredness along with chills every now and then, went to family dr and he suggested i get an ultrasound to rule out any gall bladder stones/problems. the gall bladder is fine but that is where they noticed a spot on liver, so went to get MRI and the report came back to what is the info about the mass on left lobe

DOC EK :

any other finding on MRI like fluid in abdominal cavity, or enlarged spleen

Customer:

no

DOC EK :

what was the opinion of the radiologist on MRI?

Customer:

report says no other mass or mass effect is seen and no other enhancing lesion is seen

Customer:

the opinion of radiologist is to biopsy the lesion

Customer:

report also says the appearance is not consistent with a cyst or hemangioma

DOC EK :

are you taking any hormone replacement therapy

Customer:

no

DOC EK :

well there could be several causes for such a mass

DOC EK :

benign condition like an adenoma can present like this

Customer:

what are the percentages it could be benign

DOC EK :

the more serious hepatocellular carcinoma can present like this

DOC EK :

it could be a focal nodular hyperplasia

DOC EK :

the above causes are usually associated with non cystic mass

Customer:

are there any General percentages that it is or is not cancer

DOC EK :

well without biopsy it would be hard to say what it is and only after biopsy it can be confirmed what it is

Customer:

my dr said he may not want to biopsy but rather do a CT scan first, i would rather get the biopsy - what would you suggest as your opinion?

Customer:

isnt time of the essence if there is a possibility it could be a serious cancer, like they should just biopsy and don't waste time?????

DOC EK :

i think biopsy is a gold standard in a mass lesion and although in CT scan there are certain features which point toward a possible etiology like increase uptake of contrast in arterial phase in hepatocellular cancer as it is highly vascular

Customer:

hello?

DOC EK :

yes my suggestion would be to have a biopsy

DOC EK :

in the meanwhile some tumor markers can be done which are helpful in diagnosing hepatocellular carcinoma like alpha fetoprotein

DOC EK :

but biopsy is the gold standard

DOC EK :

any more question?

Customer:

ok...and if it is not any type of cancer, should I be concerned or take action if it is a focal nodular hyperpasia or benign adenoma?

DOC EK :

if it turn out to be a benign lesion then you need not to worry

Customer:

thank you very much for all the information! I appreciate it!

DOC EK :

as you have a small lesion so just monitor its size by ultrasound

DOC EK :

but that is after biopsy report

DOC EK :

welcome

Customer:

Ok, should i tell the dr I want the biopsy 1st and he should do it or will he not listen to me?

DOC EK :

i think he will listen to your suggestion and will honour it

DOC EK :

any more question?

Customer:

no more questions thank you very much!!

DOC EK :

click ACCEPT so that i may be credited for my work

DOC EK :

good luck

DOC EK, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R)