Dr. Shahzad MD
Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MBBS, MD, FCPS.
28323552

I feel like I have pulled a muscle in my left upper arm.

I feel like I have pulled a muscle in my left upper arm. I cannot life my arm above my head and when I do, there is sharp pain down into my hand. I cannot sleep because I cannot find a comfortable position that does not make my arm hurt.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shahzad MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

hi there

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Does your arm hurt more when you press on it? Which area hurts the most?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have the ibuprofen and hot and cold compresses helped you with your symptoms?

Customer:

The arm is uncomfortable (does not really hurt) when I press on it. The pain comes when I try to curl my hair, put my arm behind my back to zip a dress or try to take a sweatshirt over my head. It hurts in the area above my elbow about three inches. The ibuprofen helps for a time, but I wake during the night if I have laid on the arm at all. The hot compresses help more than the cold.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and how long have you had these symptoms for?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been to any doctor or had any tests for this?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other medical conditions?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any other medications for anything?

Customer:

For about a month. No I have not seen a doctor, but I am seriously considering it. I had a similar problem in my right upper arm a few years ago, which was dianosed as arthritis in the shoulder. I was sent to physical therapy, but I was finally give a steriod shot that took care of the problem. I have not had any problem with the right arm since. I have been trying the exercises that I was given at that time to see if they would help this time.

Customer:

I do not have any medical conditions and I am not on any medications at this time.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

well, I do agree with you..

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that arthritis is one of the possibilities for you here as well

Dr. Shahzad MD :

and I think that this should be further evaluated starting with an xray of your joint

Dr. Shahzad MD :

the other possibility is a adhesive capsulitis

Dr. Shahzad MD :

which can cause one to have these kind of symptoms

Dr. Shahzad MD :

if you have not responded to a month's course of ibuprofen and hot compresses

Dr. Shahzad MD :

then a visit to a doctor is certainly required to rule these conditions out

Dr. Shahzad MD :

a steroid injection may again be required in your case

Dr. Shahzad MD :

are you with me?

Customer:

I will call my family physican and see what he can do. Thank you.

Dr. Shahzad MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: MBBS, MD, FCPS.