Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!
Are there any other symptoms like increased frequency of urination or burning urination?
An ammonia swelling in urine can be due to;
1) concentrated urine (decreased intake of water or increased alcohol or caffeine drinks which cause dehydration) or
2) Infection or
You may consider doing following;
1) Drink plenty of fluids/water.
2) Cranberry capsule extract (available at health stores without prescription) or Cranberry juice.
3) Avoid alcohol and caffeine drinks.
4) Wipe yourself from front to back
5) Pyridium; this is over the counter medication which is urinary analgesic and take away the pain associated with the infection (if you have any).
Following may help you in bloating and gaseous feeling;
2) This may help;
a) Bismuth subsalicylate
b) Activated charcoal
c) Simethicone; (Maalox, Mylanta); Simethicone causes gas bubbles to break up.
d) Beano; contains an enzyme (alpha-galactosidase), which helps to breakdown certain complex carbohydrates.
All are available without prescription.
Avoid foods that appear to aggravate symptoms. These may include milk and dairy products, certain fruits or vegetables, whole grains, artificial sweeteners etc. But this is based on the personal observation for the aggravating food.
Discontinue the following if you do them;
1) gum chewing,
3) drinking carbonated beverages, and
4) gulping food and liquids.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I agree, yogurt may help as it does in certain individuals and this as we discussed, one need to be the best judge by personal observation. Fever, increased frequency of urination and burning are the other symptoms of UTI. You may consider getting a urine test done or test the urine yourself by self testing kit for infection.
It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.