Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.

I have a pain in my right hamstring. It extends from the back

I have a pain in my right hamstring. It extends from the back of my thigh and into my buttocks and in the lower back. It is extreme and I am dosing on Ibuprophen just to get around. It seems slow to heal. Can you advise on what to do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to just answer and thank you for your question.

You could be having the 'piriformis syndrome'.

It is a condition in which the piriformis muscle irritates the sciatic nerve, causing pain in the buttocks and referring pain along the course of the sciatic nerve. This referred pain, called "sciatica", often goes down the back of the thigh and/or into the lower back. Patients generally complain of pain deep in the buttocks, which is made worse by sitting, climbing stairs, or performing squats.

You need to see a good sports medicine physician or a physiatrist (physical rehabilitation specialist ) with experience in caring for athletes with the piriformis syndrome to help direct appropriate management. With proper diagnosis and treatment, there is no reason for this syndrome to be dreaded.

It was a pleasure assisting you.Please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.