Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

i have a lump under the skin near my elbow. It wasnt there

i have a lump under the skin near my elbow. It wasn't there last night. Doesn't hurt, not red, loose ( not attached to bone). what could this be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
HI,

Thanks for your question.

Is it soft or hard?
How big is it?
Do you feel any restriction of movements at elbow?
Any diagnosed medical condition?
How sure you are that it was not there at night?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
soft. about 3/4" in diameter. No restriction of movement. Currently taking tests to explain high calcium and high angiotensin but nothing else is wrong.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Does it give like a fluid like feeling on pressing or it has a circumscribed margins?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not feeling like fluid but not hard. more medium and raised. just feels like a lump of skin. It's right below the "point" of my elbow. I've had sebaceous cysts before and this does not look like that.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
have you ever got your cholesterol level checked and was that high or normal?
what is your body weight and height ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
weight 165, height 5'7. I have familial hypercholestrolemia so taking 60 mg Lipitor a day keeps my cholesterol at 222 ( lowest it's ever been).
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.

Well most probably you have developed a xanthoma which can form in people who have cholesterol problems. There were many things to consider like sabecous cyst, lipoma etc but development over night was not matching with anyone of them. The development of this lump overnight and history of familial hypercholestrolemia points out that this is a xanthoma. People can also develop this in any part of body like eye etc.

I suggest that you should visit your doctor to get yourself examined and your levels checked again. Examination of a doctor will definitely rule out any other possible thing.

I hope this answers your question,Please click ACCEPT if you are satisfied.
Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
doesn't look anything like online photos of xanthoma
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Can you send me a photograph of it?
Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok. to what email?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
upload it by using tree icon on this window where we type. or ask customer services center to upload it for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i think I sent it
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
its not working, please reload it or ask customer services center.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for sending this picture.

Yes you are very right it doesnot look like a xanthoma. It seems like soft tissue swelling and needs to be examined and investigated by a doctor directly because in such swellings the diagnosis is clinical.

Differentials include a lipoma, a sabecous cyst a muscular lump due to an un noticed trauma etc. I understand that development overnight is not seen with these diagnosis but variations do exist. It might need an ultrasound and least likely FNAC to be done .

I hope this helps you.

Please click ACCEPT if you think that i have tried to help you.

Regards

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery