TheGermDoctor
TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience:  17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
13956133

I never had an outbreak. Is it possible to spread this

Customer Question

I never had an outbreak. Is it possible to spread this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!
I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Which infection do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
herpes
i was told both 1 and 2
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the information.

Herpes can easily be transmitted by skin to skin contact, but chance of transmission is much higher when there is skin lesions or outbreaks. However, there is still a small chance of transmission during viral shedding phase when there is no obvious symptoms or skin lesions. just to address your question, yes it is possible to transmit infection even if you are not having any outbreaks.

Press "ACCEPT" button if my answer was useful to you. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was diagnosed with herpes a few yrs. back, I have never had an outbreak of any kind. Can you please tell me if it can be spread through sexual intercourse.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have NEVER had an outbreak and Im still waiting to find out my answer. Is it possible to spread herpes.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Hello. I would like to help you find an answer.

Yes, herpes is spread through unprotected sex.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I have not ever had an outbreak. I would like to know if I could still spread herpes. I was diagnosed w/ both I and II.
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 3 years ago.

The answer is "yes"- even people who have not had visible outbreaks can be shedding virus and transmit to someone else who is susceptible.

The rate of transmission is indeed much higher in those who have outbreaks as the amount of virus present is higher at those times, but even when not symptomatic, a small amount of virus , on certain days may be present- And it is not easily possible to know when you are shedding and so you should always consider this a possibility.

We say, "once infected with herpes-- always infected".

Always ask if you need clarification/more information.

If I have answered your question, please click the ACCEPT button so I can get credit for my work.

POSITIVE feedback & a BONUS are warmly appreciated.
Please note that answers are for information only, do not take the place of an IN PERSON assessment by your doctor,
and does not establish a patient-physician relationship.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understand that it can be spread when u dont have symptoms yourself. I have been told repeatedly by you. What i am asking is if it can be spread before ever having an outbreak? And I guess is it possible to be diagnosed w/out any outbreaks?

Please note that my above response was the first answer I gave you ( you discarded that of the prior responders, DrShah and DrPhil- ).

And the answer is still "yes"- as I clearly answered- transmission is independent of outbreaks. So it doesn't matter if you never had an outbreak, or are just not having outbreaks now....

And of course you can be diagnosed without having outbreaks- as apparently YOU have been- by showing the presence of antibodies.

Please re-read my above answer as it clearly does answer your question.

TheGermDoctor, Doctor
Experience: 17 years as a physician, Board Certified in both Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
Thanks and good luck