Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

My blood pressure is 108/54... that seems really low. I have

My blood pressure is 108/54... that seems really low. I have Hemochromotosis so need phlebotomies. My doctor said not to worry, but everything I read online says Diastolic under 60 is too low, and I am 54.

Do you have dizziness, chest pain or shortness of breath?
History of heart disease?

dr Abby
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do have dizziness, no chest pain or shortness of breath. I am most concerned about the phlebotomies. They lowered the draw to a half pint because I was really dizzy after the first draw of a full pint.
Does your blood pressure normally run low or was it just after the phlebotomy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My phlebotomy was 5 weeks ago. From what I understand my blood replenishies within 48 hours. It normally runs low (106/62 average), but never this low. No lifestyle changes recently.
Yes you are correct, your blood supply does replenish quickly.

I normally do not get concerned when I see a blood pressure reading with a diastolic of 54 in a younger healthy man.
As long as you are not having symptoms of dizziness, chest pain or shortness of breath, your body is perfectly healthy and fine at this blood pressure (it can maintain normal blood flow to the brain, heart, lungs at this pressure).

For someone who is 85 and has buildup in the arteries, he/she cannot adapt to changes in blood pressure well. In this case, fainting, heart attacks, strokes and/or heart failure can occur when blood pressure drops.

However, if you are experiencing significant dizziness with this lower diastolic blood pressure, then it is something to look into. I would not attribute it to the recent blood was too long ago. Dehydration, electrolyte imbalances, thyroid, viral illnesses (to name a few) could all be contributing causes.

Make sure you are getting extra fluids...

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do get dizzy sometimes, even before the blood draw. But, that has always been the case with me.

Would excersise help? I am fairly healthy, just not much excersise lately. I am thin, just my metabolism. I was planning on starting weight lifting again.
Exercise will not raise your blood pressure, no....
In fact, most athletes have low blood pressure and low pulses.

That doesn't mean that you should not exercise. It will help you feel better overall.

Dr Abby