Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE FOR BYETTA FOR A TYPE 2 DIABETIC. I

Customer Question

IS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE FOR BYETTA FOR A TYPE 2 DIABETIC.
I HAD WONDERFUL RESULTS WITH BYETTA/LOST 63 LBS AND THEN HAD A BAD REACTION.

I FELT SO GOOD AND NOW WITHOUT IT MY WEIGHT IS COMING BACK.

IT WAS WONDERFUL WHILE IT LASTED. THE WEIGHT MELTED OFF AND FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY ADULT LIFE I REALLY FELT GOOD. WITHOUT DIET OR EXERSISE I TRIMED UP IN ALL THE RIGHT PLACES. IT IS SO DEPRESSING NOT TO HAVE IT NOW.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.

What bad reaction did you have to the Byetta?

There are a couple of options that are similar to Byetta. The Byetta works by acting like a naturally occurring hormone called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1). There is another medicine that works by a similar mechanism, called Victoza. There also are medicines that work by blocking the body's breakdown of GLP-1, so that your own GLP-1 can be more active. There are two medicines that are available in this class - Januvia and Onglyza.

Unfortunately, most of the medicines used for diabetes tend to contribute to weight gain. All four of the medicines that work via increasing activity of GLP-1 share the characteristic that they tend to help with weight loss, although the Byetta and Victoza are more potent in helping lose weight. If, though, the bad reaction to Byetta raises concern about using Victoza, then it would be worth considering the Januvia or Onglyza.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I TRIED JANUVIA . IT CAUSEDME TO HAVE A FEELING OF PRESSURE IN MY CHEST(I HAVE A PACEMAKER0. I ONLY TOOK TWO DOSES OF THAT MEDICATION.

MY ALLERGIES ARE: ASPRIN PENICILLEN AND SULFA DRUGS

Then the only other consideration as an alternative to Byetta that may help with weight loss would be the Victoza.