IMDR06
IMDR06, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician and HIV Physician

Why are my eosinophils so high

Customer Question

Why are my eosinophils so high?
Category: Medical
Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.

what are your levels?

any other medical problems?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

MY IRON DROPS TO A 5, GOES TO A 22, 42, 60, 72 WITH TREATMENT, BEGINS DROPPING WITHIN A WEEK OF STOPPING TREATMENT BACK TO A 60. FERRITIN IS LOW @ TIMES OR SKY HIGH.

LEVELS-

RDW 16.4

PLATELET COUNT 7.1

EOSINOPHILS 10.6

ABSOLUTE EOSINOPHIL COUNT 0.9

WHAT OTHER MEDICAL PROBLEMS DO U MEAN? I'VE HAD MANY PROBLEMS IN MY LIFE.....

Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.

Eosinophils are usually elevated in cases of allergies or allergic reactions. this could even happen because of the iron infusions as there are trace elements in the infusions that can cause a mild allergic reaction. i would not worry too much about the eosinophils. rather, the cause of the iron loss must be sought, i see you have had extensive testing already. the next step may be a bone marrow biopsy.

dr. sciberras

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I HAVE NOT HAD AN IRON INFUSION IN A MONTH.....AND THE EOSINOPHILS ARE STILL THAT HIGH? I DONT UNDERSTAND. SO DONT WORRY ABOUT THEM. EVEN THO THE LAB FLAGS THEM AS HIGH....NOT DOUBTING YOU JUST ASKING AS A CONCERNED PERSON...../PATIENT. MY DOCTOR IS "WAITING" TO DO THE BONE MARROW .... I DONT KNOW WHY THO. WHAT COULD IT BE POSSIBLY IF NOT AN ALLERGIC REACTION ? I AM NOT LOSING WEIGHT, SO I WOULD NOT HAVE LUEKEMIA, RIGHT? ONE LAST THING...IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THERE IS JUST NO CAUSE FOR A LOSS OF IRON? THE BODY JUST WONT ABSORB IT?
Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.

hi-

you have several questions here, so let me try and answer them one by one...

high eosinophils - not necessarily an allergic reaction, but just due to allergies - even mild allergies such as to pollen, ragweed, etc. will elevate the eosinophils. if not due to allergies, then eosinophils are likely due to being "reactionary" - in this case, the low iron levels.

bone marrow - i don't know why they are waiting, other than that they want to get a goos representative sample of your bone marrow when you haven't had any iron infusions. if your wbc count is normal, you do not likely have leukemia.

iron loss - there must be a cause. the body won't absorb it if you have a problem with your small bowel - although you say you had a GI workup. have you had your vitamin b12, d, a, and e levels looked at? they are also absorbed in the small bowel. i would also get an erythropoeitin level checked (again, while you are off iron) - this is something produced by the kidneys, and kidney problems can cause iron deficiency anemia as well.

i hope this helps,

dr. sciberras

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I KNOW I HAVE HAD MY VITAMINS CHECKED....I HAVE HAD 5 KIDNEY STONE REMOVALS....THROUGH THE URETHRA....SO WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE WRONG WITH MY KIDNEYS? WHAT TESTS NEED TO BE DONE? ALSO, WHAT OTHER GASTRO TESTS NEED TO BE DONE I'VE HAD THE WORKUP......
Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.

If your lab tests do not indicate any kidney problems, then your kidneys are fine. kidney stones are different than kidney failure, which the latter can cause iron problems.

as for the gastro tests, have you had a small bowel biopsy? also, a test for small bowel bacterial overgrowth syndrome, as well as whipples disease and celiac disease.

dr. sciberras

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WELL YEAH, KIDNEY LABS HAVEN'T BEEN DONE IN AWHILE, BUT THEY WERE GREAT WHEN DONE....LIKE KIDNEY FUNCTIONS. WOULD THE KIDNEY FUNCTIONS BE OFF IF KINDEY FUNCTIONS SHOW A WEIRD NUMBER OR SOMETHING IF KIDNEY (RENAL) FAILURE WAS APPEARING?

DO YOU THINK MY KIDNEYS ARE POSSIBLY FAILING? WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS? THEY DID BIOPSYS IN MY STOMACH, AS FOR DOING A BIOPSY IN MY SMALL BOWEL I AM UNCERTAIN. I WILL FIND THAT OUT...GOOD QUESION. THEY THOUGHT I HAD CELIACS AT ONE POINT. IT SHOWED UP IN A TEST AND THEN AFTER SHOWING UP IN ONLY ONE TEST, IT DIDN'T SHOW UP IN THE "FINAL" RESULT...IF THAT MAKES SENSE?!?! AS FOR THE WHIPPLES DISEASE, NEVER HEARD OF IT....I JUST DONT WANT TO "TELL" MY HEMATOLOGIST WHAT TO DO. YA KNOW? I HAVE SUGGESTED A BONE MARROW BIOPSY ..... HE SAID WE WILL WAIT....WHAT OTHER DOCTOR SHOULD I SEE AND ASK FOR WHAT TEST? OR SHOULD I ASK? I'M JUST CONCERNED. FROM WOMAN TO WOMAN.....SORRY TO BOTHER U. I HAVE A TWO AND THREE YEAR OLD. TWO LITTLE GIRLS. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHATS WRONG WITH ME!!!!!!!!!

THANKS I HOPE TO HEAR A LOT OF FEEDBACK ON THIS ONE :)

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL OF UR TIME!

Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.

yes, your kidney function tests would be off if you had renal failure. i doubt your kidneys would be failing at such a young age.

the blood test for celiac disease is not very sensitive, there are a lot of false positive and false negative results. the best test for celiac is a small bowel biopsy. you would need to see a gastroenterologist for a "push biopsy" it is called.

also, if you haven't been done so, you need to be worked up for autoimmune diseases. a rheumatologist can work that up, but i would have your hematologist order the tests. he/she should know best, XXXXX XXXXX is his/her specialty!

i hope this helps,

dr. sciberras

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WOULD A PUSH BIOPSY BE DONE DURING A COLONSCOPY? I HAVE HAD A COLONOSCOPY/ENDO/AND FLEXSIG/ -- POLPYS REMOVED, BIOPSIES REMOVED FROM THE DUEODENUM (SPELLING) AND STOMACH I DO BELIEVE. I JUST DONT THINK ANYONE HAS EVER REMOVED ANYTHING FROM THE SMALL BOWEL. JUST PLEASE TELL ME THE BEST WAY OF GOING ABOUT SEEING A GASTRO DOC AND ASKING FOR THE PARTICULAR TEST....OR ASKING THE HEMATOLOGIST TO DO THAT TEST AND NOT SOUND LIKE I KNOW IT ALL..... PLEASE - I'M ALMOST DONE. I KNOW U WILL B GLAD LOL!

BTW: MY GASTRO DOC LET ME GO B/C HE SAID HE'S RAN EVERY TEST THERE IS - THEREFORE I HAVE TO FIND A NEW ONE .... SO I WILL BE STARTING FRESH IS THE REASON FOR ASKING WHAT DO I TELL THEM.

Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.

a push biopsy of the small intestine is done via an endoscopy - they "push" the scope through the duodenum into the small bowel to get the biopsies. it is not often done unless there is good reason. let the knew gastro know the tests you've had, and you can say you were reading about this push biopsy on the internet...which is true...

dr. sciberras

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WOW I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE DONE IN THE COLONOSCOPY LOL! I CERTAINLY HOPE I AM SEDATED. I HAVE A HIGH PAIN TOLERANCE AND HAVE HAD TO BE HIGHLY SEDATED WITH ANY OF THESE GASTRO TESTS...IN THE OR....ACTUALLY DUE TO THE 15 SURGERIES I'VE HAD PREVIOUSLY.
Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.

yes, they would definitely sedate you for that as it is uncomfortable. best of luck.

dr. sciberras

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank u so much, how many i print this entire conversation for my records
Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.

i am not sure, just print the page maybe. good luck.

dr. s.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I WASNT SURE IF THERE WAS A CERTAIN PROCEDURE IN ORDER TO PRINT THIS WITH HIPPA AND SUCH....I THINK U MAY HAVE BEEN A LITTLE SMART-ELLIC IN UR RESPONSE. I'M SORRY I DIDN'T WARRANT THAT THO OR EITHER I TOOK IT WRONG. HOWEVER THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP .... GOOD LUCK TO YOU AS WELL.

Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.

no, i wasn't being a smarty-pants, i am not a computer tekkie, so if it was me i would just click print and see what happens. that's as far as my computer knowledge goes! there is no hippa violation here as your name has not been mentioned, but please remember my comments are just my suggestions and since i haven't seen you as a patient, they are merely suggestions and your doctor who knows your case the best should know the best next step.

dr. s.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YET ANOTHER SMART COMMENT...."I WOULD CLICK PRINT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS" - AT LEAST I FEEL LIKE THEY ARE....BUT I MAY JUST BE TAKING THEM WRONG....I'M WORKING ON MY MASTERS IN PSYCHOLOGY AND DOING A PAPER SO I'M NOT IN THE BEST OF MOODS. MY APOLOGY....

OK. AND ... I UNDERSTAND THESE ARE MERELY SUGGESTIONS AND I AM NOT YOUR PATIENT. HOWEVER, YOU SEEM TO HAVE OFFERED A LOT MORE THAN THE DOCTORS I HAVE SEEN THUS FAR. SO YOU ARE SMART. AS FAR AS HIPPA, MY EMAIL ADDY IS GIVEN AND I DIDN'T KNOW IF HIPPA WAS ON YOUR PART.....EXUSE ME FOR BEING CONSIDERATE AND EVEN ASKING ABOUT PRINTING....MY LORD. I'M SORRY. JUST STRESSED AND HEARING ALL OF THIS STUFF. WOULD YOU AT LEAST ANSWER ME AS TO WHY MY RDW IS SO HIGH? THICK BLOOD? SMOKING AND STRESS? IS THAT TRUE?

Expert:  IMDR06 replied 3 years ago.
Yes you are misinterpreting. As I said, I don't know anything about computers so if I click print and nothing happens, I am lost. Also, your email address is never shown on here-JA blocks out any personal info-so no worries about HIPPA.
Your RDW is a measure of the range of sizes of red blood cells your bone marrow is producing - so a large RDW means your bone marrow is producing everything from tiny cells to large ones. Smoking makes large red blood cells. Iron deficiency makes small ones. Hence, that is why your range is high.

I am heading to bed now but will be happy to answer any further questions tomorrow.

Best of luck on your paper as well.

Dr. A. Sciberras