Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

i have very bad cystic acne that hurts so bad they just never

Customer Question

i have very bad cystic acne that hurts so bad they just never go away. please help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that the picking of the acne lesions/comedones has worsened the inflammation and possible scarring of the acne, making over the counter remedies ineffective in eradicating the possibly involved P. acne bacteria. Most of the over the counter acne product work by allowing more oxygen into the acne lesions/comedones as the P. acne bacteria can not survive in the presence of oxygen. However, with worsening inflammation the acne lesions/comedones develop thick wall/scar and it is difficult to get oxygen into the acne lesions. In that case, stronger medications or therapy including Accutane, Clindamycin and/or Chemical peel (like Jessner's) would be used by your doctor to resolve the acne. At this time, I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation and prescription of stronger medications to resolve the problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can you tell me what meds can i ask my dr. for?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much:

Accutane pills and Clindamycin gel treatment would significantly resolve the problem. The treatment with Accutane would be for about 3 months, and the Clindamycin facial gel for 14 - 21 days, but could be longer depending on the doctor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

don't you have a skin dr. that i can talk to