Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

I just found out my blood preasure is 132 over 79 What should

I just found out my blood preasure is 132 over 79 What should I do to get that lower. I weigh 167, am 5'3, 63 yrs old female, active lifestyle.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Abid :

Hi

Dr. Abid :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER.

Dr. Abid :

Please tell me do you have any history of stress?

Customer:

I have been under stress this year. Normally I have had a stress free life. My stress is job and finanical related.

Dr. Abid :

Ok please tell me since how long you have this blood pressure reading ,any fluctuation you observed in blood pressure reading?

Customer:

I've known for approx 1 month. In that time take my pressure 2 other times and lower 2 weeks ago, up again yesterday.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks for info as your reading of blood pressure which you mentioned is 132 / 79 mmhg it comes in the category of pre hypertension and according to guide lines pre hypertension should be treated with life style modifications i will suggest you to avoid added salt ,daily regular morning walk ,avoid smoking ,use low cholestrol diet ,try to avoid stress ,and mainatin normal BMI (18.5 - 24 .5) your blood pressure will be controlled ,at this atage you donot need any medications.

Dr. Abid :

So please follow the instructions and advise as i mentioned you will get benefit.

Dr. Abid :

Regards XXXXX XXXXX you a good health if you found my response helpful please click accept button so that i may get credit,if you have more questions please ask.

Dr. Abid :

Thanks.

Customer:

What is BMI

Dr. Abid :

Well BMI is the body mass index it tell us whether your weight is normal according to your height as you mentioned that your weight is 167 pounds and height is 5 by 3 so your BMI is almost 26 so it is border line mean you comes in the category of overweight so try to loose weight to maintain BMI at normal level.

Dr. Abid :

Regards.

Customer:

at 150 pounds what would my BMI be?

Customer:

Can you send me a BMI chart

Dr. Abid :

As BMI is measured by formula ......weight in kg divided by height in meter square so in 150 pound ,mean you have 68 kg and height of 157 cm you have BMI of 27 .As according to ptrotocols normal BMI (18 .5 - 24 .9) ,OVER WEIGHT (25 - 29 .9) ,GRADE 1 OBESITY (30 - 34 .9) ,GRADE 2 OBESITY is (35 -39.9) and grade 3 over that.

Dr. Abid :

Regards XXXXX XXXXX will help you ,and you may able to calculate your BMI .

Dr. Abid :

Thanks.

Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS(R)