Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

cold feet and hands and erectile disfunction

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the neuropathic symptoms of peripheral vascular disease - specifically arteriosclerosis (narrowing of small blood vessels) of the hands, feet, as well as in the penile blood vessels. This is often due to increase blood bad cholesterol accumulation. Other causes of such symptoms include deficiencies in Vitamin B6 and/or B12, or connective tissue/collagen vascular condition. The best means to determine the specific cause, and hence better design treatment is for him to follow-up with his doctor for closer evaluation with blood tests including complete blood count, fasting lipid profile, ANA, ESR, C-reactive protein, TSH, and ankle-brachial index. If this is due to increased blood cholesterol, he would need treatment with cholesterol lowering medication depending of the level and other associated coronary artery disease risk factors. If this is related to an underlying connective tissue or collagen vascular condition, then specific treatment would be used. In the meantime, I suggest that he use over the counter B-complex vitamins, especially B12 and B6. Also, he doctor can temporarily prescribe Viagra, Levitra or Cialis to help relief the symptoms and distress of erectile dysfunction by improving blood flow into the penile blood vessels to facilitate prolonged erection.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Edited by Dr. Stan on 11/10/2010 at 1:04 AM EST