Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

what do the numbers mean after a nuclear test for gallbladder

what do the numbers mean after a nuclear test for gallbladder disease. I was told the number should be 25 and mine is 23.....what does that indicate

Welcome to Just Answer:

The number indicates the extent or degree of filling of the gallbladder by the nuclear labeled dye of HIDA scan. The normal is 25 with few points of error in either direction +/-. So, a number of 23 is considered normal. The test HIDA scan helps confirm whether or not the entrance of the gallbladder is blocked. If it is blocked, the nuclear labeled dye will not get into the gallbladder, and so the number would be much lower than 25. If it is open, then the dye will fill-up the gallbladder. In your case, the gallbladder is mostly filled up with the nuclear labeled dye, and not blocked at the time of the testing.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.