Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

eyes..head..lastnight flat on his back and his headed facing side ways

I have a month and a half old sn who some times wakes up startled looking a a down direction that u can barely see the color of his eyes my wife and both grandmothers say he is just looking for his bottle is that normal and second he usually sleeps with his head laying back well he slept all lastnight flat on his back and his headed facing side ways he then after the looking down incident began to look from side to side like he was scanning a area then once he started to eat he slowed down scanning and stopped what does this all he is my first child and I'm a concerned dad I appreciate any information thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

This is a normal eye movement at this age, especially as the eye muscles co-ordination - including the saccades and slow smooth pursuit eye movement are well-developed yet, and not balanced at this age. After about 3-4 months of age this would become less of a problem - and he would show better smooth pursuit eye movement. Overall, his body muscle tone and control will improve in the coming few months. This is not a significant concern at this time. However, if this persists after 3 months or worsen at any time, I suggest that you take baby to the doctor for closer evaluation. Also, I suggest that you raise this concern at the next doctor's visit of the baby.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.