Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

I hurt my shoulder in a fall. My primary care physician believes

I hurt my shoulder in a fall. My primary care physician believes I have rotator cuff damage and has set me up with an MRI. I am experiencing pain and also a feeling that runs down to my hand. My hand and fingers feel that they going to sleep. Is this something that is normal with this injury. Should I just wait for the MRI or should I seek medical care more quickly since I feel this numbness? I am a healthy 57 year old female.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 4 years ago.

Dr.Tharun :

hello

Dr.Tharun :

what was the mode of injury?

Dr.Tharun :

Which part of the hand and fingers are going to sleep - little finger side or other?

Dr.Tharun :

Is there any weakness of the arm and the hand?

Customer:

I fell off 3 steep steps and I grabbed a handle by the steps and my arm was used to try not to fall but my arm/should was grabbing hold and my body was swinging from this position. I did fall to the concrete losing my gripe on the handle. the ring finger, little finger and the part of the hand above them. My whole arm is weak

Dr.Tharun :

When is the MRI scheduled?

Customer:

not scheduled yet; waiting on dr office

Dr.Tharun :

It seems like there is a stretch injury to the brachial plexus in the shoulder region.

Dr.Tharun :

By the symptoms it seems to be grade 1 or 2 but can not be commented upon with out tests.

Dr.Tharun :

Most of the brachial plexus injuries are treated conservatively with medical management for up to 6 months.

Dr.Tharun :

Most of the times there is good recovery with time.

Dr.Tharun :

Even if there is a surgical procedure to be done it is done after 3-4 weeks after the injury to demarcate the injury site in the nerves.

Dr.Tharun :

MRI is the modality of choice for this type of injury and later other tests have to be done if a surgical procedure is planned.

Customer:

the pain that goes up the top of the shoulder and in the neck....is this normal in a stretch injuryo

Dr.Tharun :

Yes pain in the shoulder and neck is common presenting symptom.

Dr.Tharun :

The usual principle in stretch injuries of brachial plexus is to allow sometime for spontaneous recovery .

Customer:

im not asking if I need surgery. I just want to know if I should proceed to a medical facility because I have had pain since this happened 3-4 months ago. Dr thinks there is a tear but I just keep thinking it will get better. Now this numbness is going down my arm and hand Iand I do not want to have permament nerve damage....I know it is hurt and I need further medical treatment but is this numbness something that could be permament if I don't get attention in a timely manner

Dr.Tharun :

I thought the injury was recent.In that case you have waited for 4 months and the usual waiting period is 3-6 months as this is the time when the injury can become permanent.If there are no improvement in symptoms then further consultation should be sought to prevent permanent damage.

Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience: MBBS