Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

I hurt my shoulder in a fall. My primary care physician believes

I hurt my shoulder in a fall. My primary care physician believes I have rotator cuff damage and has set me up with an MRI. I am experiencing pain and also a feeling that runs down to my hand. My hand and fingers feel that they going to sleep. Is this something that is normal with this injury. Should I just wait for the MRI or should I seek medical care more quickly since I feel this numbness? I am a healthy 57 year old female.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 6 years ago.

Dr.Tharun :

hello

Dr.Tharun :

what was the mode of injury?

Dr.Tharun :

Which part of the hand and fingers are going to sleep - little finger side or other?

Dr.Tharun :

Is there any weakness of the arm and the hand?

Customer:

I fell off 3 steep steps and I grabbed a handle by the steps and my arm was used to try not to fall but my arm/should was grabbing hold and my body was swinging from this position. I did fall to the concrete losing my gripe on the handle. the ring finger, little finger and the part of the hand above them. My whole arm is weak

Dr.Tharun :

When is the MRI scheduled?

Customer:

not scheduled yet; waiting on dr office

Dr.Tharun :

It seems like there is a stretch injury to the brachial plexus in the shoulder region.

Dr.Tharun :

By the symptoms it seems to be grade 1 or 2 but can not be commented upon with out tests.

Dr.Tharun :

Most of the brachial plexus injuries are treated conservatively with medical management for up to 6 months.

Dr.Tharun :

Most of the times there is good recovery with time.

Dr.Tharun :

Even if there is a surgical procedure to be done it is done after 3-4 weeks after the injury to demarcate the injury site in the nerves.

Dr.Tharun :

MRI is the modality of choice for this type of injury and later other tests have to be done if a surgical procedure is planned.

Customer:

the pain that goes up the top of the shoulder and in the neck....is this normal in a stretch injuryo

Dr.Tharun :

Yes pain in the shoulder and neck is common presenting symptom.

Dr.Tharun :

The usual principle in stretch injuries of brachial plexus is to allow sometime for spontaneous recovery .

Customer:

im not asking if I need surgery. I just want to know if I should proceed to a medical facility because I have had pain since this happened 3-4 months ago. Dr thinks there is a tear but I just keep thinking it will get better. Now this numbness is going down my arm and hand Iand I do not want to have permament nerve damage....I know it is hurt and I need further medical treatment but is this numbness something that could be permament if I don't get attention in a timely manner

Dr.Tharun :

I thought the injury was recent.In that case you have waited for 4 months and the usual waiting period is 3-6 months as this is the time when the injury can become permanent.If there are no improvement in symptoms then further consultation should be sought to prevent permanent damage.