Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My right upper arm is swollen... HELP!!

Customer Question

My right upper arm is swolen, just above the elbow going in to the arm, is generally located around the elbow and just beyond it, not the arm itself, you can feel where the swelling drops off. My Dr gave me Prednasone thinking it was an allergic reaction. However says to me, if it is not better in two days call me. So i call, no call back, no nothing. Arm is still swollen, is not sore to move, but after having something rest on my arm while shopping yesterday, it took a good half hr/hr for the line in my arm to go away that was from the item I was carrying. Not to mention, i cant carry heavy things for a long period of time in that arm at this point, such as a bag of rice, 15lb bag. Allergic reaction, i think not. I woke up Tuesday morning 1:30ish am. Feeling like someone was squeezing my arm, there was no pain involved, just pressure, and really uncomfortable, and my two fingers after my thumb go numb on occasion, but not the pinky?? (no thumb on that hand!) soo any insight would be appreciated! thank you!

I have had a recent breast exam that was fine, I have also had blood work and EKG's done that all came back normal. Internal Injury?? Feels like I can feel it in the joint where the elbow and arm meet, but there is no pain involved. Just wierd.

PS: when at primary care, blood pressure and Oxygen levels were all normal. Stats all normal.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome,

The swelling without pain is likely due to allergic cause. Any swelling, since it causes pressure on the muscles and nerves can cause numbness and discomfort on carrying things. The other causes for consideration with your symptoms would be;

1) Very mild subcutaneous tissue infection / inflammation.

2) Superficial thrombophlebitis; this is blood clot in the superficial veins and is not dangerous as the clot in the deep veins are, as they heal without complications, almost always.

3) Lymphangitis; lymphatic vessel inflammation; again is quite uncommon.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is the beginning of a deep bruise starting to form or has been forming. Can feel that my elbow feels off when resting it on my computer desk. Where as the left side looks normal. Blood tests determine clots right??

Yes, the blood tests like d-dimer can detect the blood clot. An ultrasound (colored doppler study) too is done for the evaluation. With a bruise developing, a further evaluation is warranted.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If it were a blood clot, how long till it would heal??

A superficial thrombophlebitis heals in 5-7 days. If you develop, pain, redness, warmth, soreness, tenderness, it would need immediate evaluation.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So my primary just tells me to take ibprophen/ motrin, put ice on it, and keep it elevated. Shouldn't it feel better after icing it?? Not tense it up???

Yes, the ice should help you in symptoms. If it is tensing the muscles, you may skip it. Motrin should decrease the swelling by it's anti-inflammatory action.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It didn't help what so ever:(:(:(

Do you want another expert's opinion on it. If yes, I will opt out.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it's ok. I'm just getting nervous that's all :(. It just dosnt seem like anything is helping

It can take sometimes up to 72 hours for any response to show. Please do not worry. It does not seem to be anything serious.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I talked to my cousin who is a nurse. She thinks I pulled a muscle. Thank you for your help!! She checked it out for me

You are most welcome,

This might be a possibility. It can cause swelling, though pain is usually significant with the pulled muscle on movements.

Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 11/6/2010 at 3:35 AM EST