Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I HAVE A SOFT LUMP APPEARS IN THE MIDDLE OF MY ABDOMAN BETWEEN

Customer Question

I HAVE A SOFT LUMP APPEARS IN THE MIDDLE OF MY ABDOMAN BETWEEN MY NAVAL AND RIB CAGE WHEN I DO A SIT UP WHAT IS IT?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you have a dermolipoma (fat lump), hernia, lymph node, muscle or inflammatory nodule under the abdominal skin that enlarges and become apparent after sit up exercise. This is likely a non-harmful lump. However, I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for a closer evaluation with imaging of the lump, and consider tests including an ultrasound, CT scan or MRI, depending on the amount and location of the lump. If examination and/or ultrasound exclude the presence of hernia or cyst, the definitive test would be a biopsy to determine the exact nature of the lump, and this can be done by a general surgeon.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what other possibilities could there be as sometimes i feel a little bloated with it
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much:

It is likely that bloated abdomen from gas accumulation and indigestion also cause the lump to become more noticeable. The lump is unlikely a cancer, but more likely a benign /non harmful lump, but should be closely evaluated with an ultrasound. Hernia should be excluded.

Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
in regard to your answer about fatty lump in abdoman is there anything i can do to reduce it eg better diet or does it require surgery to get rid of it
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much:

Depending on the nature, size and location of the fat lump in the abdomen, diet alone may not significantly reduce it. However, weight reduction through the combination of diet, exercise and/or localized liposuction of the area could significantly be beneficial. The different diet protocol include the The Atkins diet, South Beach diet, Master Cleanse diet, The Ornish diet and Weight Watchers. More specific information on these various diet program is available on the internet. In addition, the physician supervised strict hCG weight loss program tends to target abdominal fat. So, I suggest that you ask your doctor or look around in your community for weight loss management doctors and inquire about their hCG weight loss program. Overall, I suggest that the best approach be to have your doctor closely evaluate and localize the fat lump. Surgical excision is definitely the best choice for removing subcutaneous fat lump.