IVY MD, Doctor
Experience:  USA trained physician in Internal Medicine, Critical Care, Anesthesiology, and Interventional Pain

I take Opana, Oxycodone, and Morphine ER. My question is whe

Customer Question

I take Opana, Oxycodone, and Morphine ER. My question is whether or not they wil all show up differently in a GMS urine test, or because Opana in OxyMorphone will it simply show up as either Morphine and/or Oxycodone?
Category: Medical
Expert:  IVY MD replied 5 years ago.
Opana only breaks down into oxymorphone metabolites. whereas oxycodone breaks down into both oxycodone and oxymorphone metabolites. So if you take oxymorphone only (opana) and they only test for oxycodone, then it will usually not show up. Some clinics will test just for oxymorphone metabolites as that would cover both oxycodone and oxymorphone metabolites, but if they only look for oxycodone then it will not likely show up.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That somewhat answers my question...I suppose if I explain exactly why I am asking then you may be able to give me a more concise answer.
I am prescribed 60mg MSContin ER 3x per day for chronic pain control. I am also prescribed Oxycodone IR 5mg up to 40mg total per day for breakthrough pain. I had run out of my MSContin on vacation and stupidly accepted some Opana tablets from someone thinking it to be the same as Oxycontin which I was under the impression would show up in a drug screen the same as OxyCodone.
I am going through a custody battle currently and am during urinaslysis testing. The courts are aware of my medications but my ex husband wants to see the levels of the drugs in my system to make certain that I am not abusing my medication. It just occured to me that perhaps the Opana will show up as something that I have not been given a prescription for and thus ruin everything I have worked so hard to accomplish!
Do I need to worry, or will the GMS test simply show levels of both Morphine and Oxycodone?
Expert:  IVY MD replied 5 years ago.
I see your dilemma. The gms test usually only tests for oxycodone and morphine and not oxymorphone. So the answer is that if as usual they don't test or oxymorphone, then you have nothing to worry about as the usual medication will show up. Besides, you can argue that oxycodone breaks down into oxymorphone and thus even if they did test for this, it could be from the oxycodone that you already take. Here is a website to support this statement:
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank You SO much for your help! I have another quick question that pertains to this topic:
Being that I take the Oxycodone for break through pain and that I do not always need to take the same an=mounts in any given day; how is it that by my ex viewing these results, can he argue that I am or am not taking the right amounts?
Expert:  IVY MD replied 5 years ago.
No he cannot tell at all, just whether there is or isn't drug in your system.
Expert:  IVY MD replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again and have a great day!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I see...I just do not understand then why I am having to jump through these hoops!
And, just to be certain, OxyCodone & OxyContin are the exact same medications with the exception of 1 being time released and the other immediate release?
Soory for all the trouble, just want to be certain and ease my mind!
Thank you again VERY much!
Expert:  IVY MD replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that's right, oxycontin is the long acting form of oxycodone.