Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS

Hi, my mysterious symptoms are post nasal drip for 2 years

Hi, my mysterious symptoms are post nasal drip for 2 years plus (I swallow hard up to 3X minute to clear my larnyx) but no sinus congestion; a recent kidney stone; ph=5.0; thinning hair and thirst. What would you hypothesize is wrong?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to the just answer website. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:
Is there any change in weight?
Are you taking any medications now?
When did you menopaused?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No weight changes, although it seems harder to lose weight, despite exercising a lot and not overeating.

I don't take any medications now except for Restoril as needed in the pm to sleep. I also take 500 mg calcium and 500 Vit D/day and occasionally Zinc when I remember.

I had to have a hysterectomy at 39. I have one ovary left, but I am pretty sure I haven't ovulated in about 10 years.

Expert:  Dr.David replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info.

The symptoms of post nasal drib & kidney stone are not related. They have different causes.Exactly what causes a stone to form is not known.Whenever there is a disharmony or breakdown between the two functions of the kidney(to conserve water and to eliminate the body's waste substances) it leads to the formation of stones.
Urinary tract infections, kidney disorders such as cystic kidney diseases, and certain metabolic disorders such as hyperparathyroidism are linked to stone formation.

You need to take alkalyser syrup so as to increase your Ph of urine. For this you have to consult your doctor for the prescription.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am drinking aloe juice to increase alkalinity. Do you feel prescription medication is also required? My urologist agreed to re-check my ph after drinking aloe for 4 weeks. Unlike most Americans, I really do not want to take Rx meds unless absolutely necessary.

One final question: the insomnia, hair thinning, thirst...could that be hormonal?

Expert:  Dr.David replied 5 years ago.
Okay as you are drinking aloe vera juice to increase alkalinity,you can wait & watch but this treatment regimen is not approved by FDA. If still there is no improvement after 4 weeks, then you have to take the prescription alakalyser.
The other symptoms- the insomnia, hair thinning, thirst are most likely due to imbalance of hormones. Exact diagnosis can be made only after the report of thyroid hormone.Regards-
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.