Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!
I am asymptomatic, other than maybe feeling slight bloating in the mid abdomen. I knew as soon as I swallowed it (4 hours ago), and it was lodged in the upper esophagus horizontally. I tried to cough it up but could not. It was uncomfortable and finally I decided if it wasn't going to come up, it might go down. I know that the broken swallowed toothpick is about 1.5 inches long and sharpened on one end. I ate a slice of bread and I could feel that it dislodged the toothpick and down it went. No longer any discomfort. I've been chasing it down with water and plenty of high fiber. Now what? Just wait and be vigilant for symptoms? Or do I actually need to have someone try to fish it out of stomach with an endoscope? Yeah...I saw the episode of House, which I believe to be basically overdramatized bullshit, but rarely a complication could happen. But that's why I'm paying 30 bucks for an expert answer. Thanks