Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What is the treatment for omental infarction

What is the treatment for omental infarction?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.

Did this happen after the surgery? Or was it found before the surgery?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Went in for apend. - this was discovered - took out apend. anyway. What could be treatment modes?

Thank you for the additional information.

An omental infarction is the death of a portion of the omentum due to an interruption of the blood supply to that portion. The omentum (or greater omentum) is a broad, flat sheet of tissue that lies over the intestines, like an apron. It is primarily composed of fatty and fibrous tissue. The greater omentum continues from the outer curve of the stomach. There also is a lesser omentum that lies between the liver and the stomach. If a portion of the greater omentum twists upon itself, referred to as omental torsion, it can interfere with the blood supply to that portion of the omentum. If the blood supply remains cut off for a sufficient period of time, then that portion of the omentum dies, referred to as an infarction.

It is frequently very difficult to diagnose an omental torsion or infarction. The usual clinical scenario is that a person presents with what looks like appendicitis, then when surgery is done, the omental infarction is discovered. There are cases in which the omental infarction can be seen on CT scan prior to surgery, but that is infrequent.

The usual treatment for an omental infarction is surgical excision of the infarcted portion of the omentum. It is common for the surgeon to also perform an appendectomy, just to be certain that the appendix is not a problem, and it is reasonable to perform an incidental appendectomy while performing surgery in that portion of the abdomen.

It is also possible that omental infarction can occur as a complication of prior abdominal surgery. For example, it is possible that a person may have an appendectomy, and then during the recovery period develop the torsion and infarction. If the person has an omental infarction as a complication during the recovery period, it will typically require a second surgery to remove the infarcted omentum.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.