Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

I have Diverticulitis which flares up on more often, the older

I have Diverticulitis which flares up on more often, the older I get. I am 68 yrs. old and healthy in other ways. I have had part of my colon removed because of enlarged polyp. That was in 2000. I have a Gastrointerologist that I go to regularly. I get Colonoscopys every 3 years for about 30 years. I've also had CT scans on them.
The doctor says he hates to operate on me and take any more colon out, because I don't have that much left. He puts me on antibiotics every time it flares up. It is happening so often this year, that I am afraid of taking too many antibiotics and I have heard if you take too many your body becomes immune to them.
Do you know of anything else I can do besides having my colon removed?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 3 years ago.
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

Sorry to know about your problem

Well unfortunately there is no way of treating diverticulum if it already exists there , apart from surgery. During a diverticulitis antibiotic are a must. But there are few things than can be done to prevent an attack of diverticulitis. This includes

Avoidance of nuts, corns and seeds as these can plug the diverticulum and can cause an attack of diverticulitis.
Taking high fiber diet helps prevent constipation and thus may prevent further formation of a diverticulum and inflammation of an already existing diverticulum.
Anti spasmotic drugs can be used in cases with mild symptoms . These drugs include dicyclomine, chlordiazepoxide, atropine, hyoscyamine etc.
Low fiber diet during an attack to limit passage of stools passing through the area.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I usually have loose stool and will get a flare up when I get diarhea. I take fiber pills and try to eat vegitables to make it more firm. I try not to eat anything with seeds and very few nuts. My doctor said there is no evidence that shows seeds or nuts to cause this problem. I don't agree, because in the past I have had flare ups from eating berries.
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 3 years ago.
Hello again

Your doctor is right in a sense because the proof of such eventuality is low but not absent and theory is supported by many.
But still nothing apart from surgery is the answer to reach a permanent solution. you are doing quite a bit in the diet perspective and thats good to hear. Taking to many antibiotics have their own side effects and can cause resistance against those drugs after regular use.

Please ask if any further question

Best of luck...Take care.

Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career