Dr. Kala
Dr. Kala, Doctor
Experience:  Caring US educated & trained physician, 26 yr experience: primary care, OBGYN & women's health care.

My vagina is red and it itches and kind of burns, what can

My vagina is red and it itches and kind of burns, what can I use in the mean time to releive the pain and itchiness?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Kala :

Hi, Allow me to help you understand your particular health issue. I provide compassionate, considerate information. A few questions first.

Dr. Kala :

1. For how long has this been occurring? 2. Any discharge? 3. Any recent antibiotic use? If so describe.

JACUSTOMER-aby81r09- : And*
JACUSTOMER-aby81r09- : Discharge is somewhat white and at times looks like liquid other times it's a little thicker
JACUSTOMER-aby81r09- : It started last night
JACUSTOMER-aby81r09- : What do u suggest I use while I contact my physician
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 5 years ago.
It appears the chat system is not working properly so we shall use this format. Please note it may take a bit longer for response to appear. Thanks for the additional information.

It sounds like you may have a yeast infection (YI) which is caused by Candida, and is a normal inhabitant of the vagina. When woman are treated with antibiotics they can get a YI and it can occur when there is a change in vaginal pH or even diet, as well as with increased stress. This can occur despite the absence of a significant discharge. These are easily treated with an over the counter preparations like clotrimazole or miconazole. The 3 or 7 day preparation works best, make sure you apply some cream to the outside of the vagina as well as inside the vagina.

Hope this is clear, if not let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there anything I can use from home if pharmacies are closed?
Expert:  Dr. Kala replied 5 years ago.
You should increase your water intake to help cleanse the vagina. A thorough rinse of the vagina with water or soaking in tepid water may help soothe the area but only an antifungal agent will help treat the infection. Many women have tried different natural therapies with variable results. These include rinsing the vagina with peppermint tea, chamomile tea, or even regular tea has worked to alleviate symptoms.
Hope this is clearer.