Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

im constipated. i cant poop. nothing comes out no matter

i'm constipated. i can't poop. nothing comes out no matter how hard i strain. i'm completely blocked. i took 4 tablespoons of milk of magnesia. didn't help; still can't poop. problem started yesterday around 6pm. <br /><br />what can i do?<br /><br />other notes:<br />- i went on a vegetarian diet from sept8-oct-8. after that i started to eat meat again.<br /> - around the same time, i started to eat cheese regularly; 2 or 3 times a day.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. When did you last pass stools?

Q. Are you passing flatus/gas?

Q. Is there any abdominal cramping and distention?

Q. Are you on any medication?

Q. Any previously diagnosed medical conditions?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1. don't remember. i was pretty regular before this problem. for sure sometime in the last week. let's say 2 or 3 days ago.

2. i passed a little bit of gas; much less than usual.

3. no cramping. not sure of distention, that's a bloated abdomen? i don't think so, not enough to tell if it is bloated

4. no medication

5. no previous diagnosed medical condition (haven't had anything wrong with me except colds). but i haven't been to a doctor in decades.

Thanks for the details.

I was ruling out danger signs of an intestinal obstruction.

Constipation -- this is what you need to do:

1) Increase the bulk of your stools by using benefiber sachets and psyllium husk (metamucil) thrice daily.

2) Drink a lot of water, say 3-4 liters per day.

3) Increase the fiber in your diet, green leafy vegetables, unrefined cereals, dried fruits and wheat cookies etc.

4) Laxatives like Lactulose 30 ml twice daily for now.

5) Mild exercise and walk.

6) You can also try glycerine suppositories, 4 at one time per rectally.

7) Do not strain, that leads to haemorrhoids and anal fissures which cause further problems.

8) If you notice that you have failed to pass gas, the abdomen bloats, nausea and constipation remain, you will need to go to the ER or an Urgent Care for management of acute intestinal obstruction.

9) I would suggest that you get a Gastroenterologist consultation even if the constipation has relieved this time. Sometimes, constipated or dried out stools get impacted in the lower colon and obstruct the lumen of the gut partially hampering the passage of normal stools and further aggravating the constipation.

Hope this helps.

Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist. A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated. Best.