Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
Q. When did you last pass stools?
Q. Are you passing flatus/gas?
Q. Is there any abdominal cramping and distention?
Q. Are you on any medication?
Q. Any previously diagnosed medical conditions?
Thanks for the details.
I was ruling out danger signs of an intestinal obstruction.
Constipation -- this is what you need to do:
1) Increase the bulk of your stools by using benefiber sachets and psyllium husk (metamucil) thrice daily.
2) Drink a lot of water, say 3-4 liters per day.
3) Increase the fiber in your diet, green leafy vegetables, unrefined cereals, dried fruits and wheat cookies etc.
4) Laxatives like Lactulose 30 ml twice daily for now.
5) Mild exercise and walk.
6) You can also try glycerine suppositories, 4 at one time per rectally.
7) Do not strain, that leads to haemorrhoids and anal fissures which cause further problems.
8) If you notice that you have failed to pass gas, the abdomen bloats, nausea and constipation remain, you will need to go to the ER or an Urgent Care for management of acute intestinal obstruction.
9) I would suggest that you get a Gastroenterologist consultation even if the constipation has relieved this time. Sometimes, constipated or dried out stools get impacted in the lower colon and obstruct the lumen of the gut partially hampering the passage of normal stools and further aggravating the constipation.
Hope this helps.
Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist. A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated. Best.