How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a soft lump that has formed next to my belly button

This answer was rated:

i have a soft lump that has formed next to my belly button it has actually grown over a three day period and is the size of a nickel, it's not really painful but you can feel that it's there, what is this lump?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
What side of the belly button?
Have you ever had surgery there, even as a child?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That would be the top of the belly button. I have never had surgery there or anywhere period.
Can you describe what this feels like and the size and anything else - then I will be able to answer you - thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It feels soft like it may be filled with liquid of some type and as I said before it is the size of a nickel. I really have a nausea feeling that came with it.
Okay - this MOST likely what is known as an Umbilical Hernia - usually this are NOT concerning - but they should be evaluated by a general surgeon - NOT just a General physician to make sure that your small intestines is not getting suck in a layer of tissue below the belly button.
Basically there are many layers - and the Below the skin there is Fat, below the fat is a layer called the Fascia which is a thick fibrous layer and sometimes there is a hole in the fascia that develops and this hole is called a Hernia (an opening when translated) - and if you have a hole, then a surgeon like myself identifies the hole and closes it surgically - this is a VERY simple procedure and done in less than 5 minutes in the operating room - it is done while you are asleep.
Another possibility is a benign mass called a Lipoma - this is easily removed and is nothing more than a collection of fatty tissue - that is like a ball -and then removed.
I hope this helps, Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So why do I feel nausea and will that feeling go away. If I dont see a doctor will it go away?

This is MORE than likely a Hernia just like I explained - and when you get entrapment of bowel (small intestine) this will cause nausea and vomitting - so Please see a general surgeon - and this is such an easy fix to get the surgery and you feel better and then no more lump/bump either.
Thank you for your question and Please click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated for answering your questions.
Dr. Owen and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you