Dr  S.A.Alam
Dr S.A.Alam, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS/FCPS(R)/MRCP(R) U.K
16248889

My AST/SGOT level is 89 and my ALT SGPT is 131 I dont drink

Customer Question

My AST/SGOT level is 89 and my ALT SGPT is 131 I don't drink alcohol. I am on heart medicines and also take Vytorin 10/40 and 3 Colestid tablets twice a day. What does
this lab result mean and do I need to do anything else
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Israr replied 4 years ago.
Hello

Thanks for using just answer.

What heart medicines are you using?
Expert:  Dr S.A.Alam replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for your question.

When were these tests done ?

Do you have some other tests like ultrasound abdomen and hepatitis viral serology ?

What other medicine you take ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Israr, the heart medicines I am on are Metprolol Succ ER 100 mg. 2 Tablest twice a day, Tenex 1mg. once a day, and Cardizem LA 240mg. once a day.
Thank you for your reply,

Did your doctor advised some blood tests for this porblem ?

Have you done ultrasound of the liver to see the liver structure ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

a Hepatic Function Panel

Thank you for your reply,

I am expert in internal medicine and cardiology and will try to help you out.

There are several reasons that can lead to such rise in liver enzymes.

Such rise in liver enzymes basically indicates injury to the liver cells and as a result they

release these enzymes that can be detected in the blood.

Causes can stretch from infections, autoimmune diseases, alcohol and certain drugs.

As there is a clear history that you are taking medicine for blood pressure that are

known to cause liver injury.

Cardiazem and Metoprolol care known to damage liver.

Another cause in high blood pressure patients is damage to the liver due to heart

muscle weakness which can put pressure on the liver and cause these enzymes to

raise.

So in your case these medicine have caused this rise in enzymes, Such rise in

enzymes is not an indication for stopping these medicine.

At least 5 times rise is an indication to stop the medicine.

So you may have to check your enzymes after few days again to see a rise in the

enzymes, if they are still rising and your doctor has done other tests to see for other

possible causes which turned as normal then these medicine should be changed.

Metoprolol should be with drawn slowly.

Do let me know if oy have more questions.

Click accept to credit the assist.

Have a nice day and take care.

Edited by Dr S.A.Alam on 10/14/2010 at 7:58 PM EST