tazechip
tazechip, Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been feeling a tingling sensation on the tip of my nose

I have been feeling a tingling sensation on the tip of my nose and lips. It is worse some days than others so I'm wondering if its some kind of allergic reaction vs. something more serious. However on one occasion I had became extremely nervous and noticed that the tingling become more severe. Any suggestions?

How long does the sensation last? Any swelling or redness in those areas? And, I know that looking on the internet for answers to symptoms can give you some scary information, what serious diseases did you learn of, so that I can try to ease your concern about having one of those?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The sensations usually last throughout the day with some days being less noticible and other days more so. There has been no swelling that I can visibly detect. I have read about such allergies to sodium lauryl sulfate (found in many toothpastes), and various other chemicals such as anisyl alcohol, benzyl alcohol, etc. (found in perfumes, etc.). I have also found references to pinched nerves, tetany, diabetes, raynaud's, etc.

Thanks, Cindy

OK. If this were a brief episode--say, only a few minutes--it could be an anxiety reaction, but, since it lasts much longer, I doubt that. It doesn't sound like an allergic reaction, without accompanying swelling, itching, or redness, but it could stil be that. The other somewhat likely possibilities include facial nerve neuropathy, multiple sclerosis, vitamin B 12 deficiency, a threatened stroke, thyroid disorders, and autoimmune disorders on the order of Raynauds, although that one usually affectes the extremities and includes pain and swelling. My suggestion is to check this out with a doctor and get appropriate blood work and MRI's of the brain and head to get at a diagnosis.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks I will do that, but would you suggest I see my regular physician or a specialist such as a neurologist or some other area of expertise?
I'd start with your primary care physician for the tests I suggested first. Then he can decide if a particular specialist should get involved.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much ...I'll call today.
Let me know how things turn out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much ...I will.
OK