Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

I am having some abdominal pain that moves around, with gas

I am having some abdominal pain that moves around, with gas and bloating. No diarrhoea but occasional constipation. And also occasional backache.

However it seems to be waking me up at night, always with the same pain on my left hand side - in an area above the level of my navel. Not excruciating but uncomfortable enough to stop me sleeping.

I'm assuming it's IBS because of the other symptoms - and occasional lightheadedness - but can this cause my nocturnal pains? And if so, what should I be doing or taking? (I have to say I have been quite stressed lately and the daytime symptoms do seem to lighten when I am involved in something I enjoy)

many thanks,

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Cameron replied 6 years ago.

Doctor Cameron :

Doctor Cameron :

have you had an ultrasound done or CT scan of the abdomen?

JACUSTOMER-7slrnwfi- :

No not yet

JACUSTOMER-7slrnwfi- :

I went to my GP last week and she gave me an examination and said it felt like IBS but to come back in a couple of weeks, at which time she might send me for a colonoscopy or something similar.

JACUSTOMER-7slrnwfi- :

This is the first time I have used this service. I'm assuming you're coming back to me with more than your original question.

Well, it is certainly possible that you are having symptoms of IBS. But, in your age group, before I assume that this is the case, I would want to have a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis or at least an ultrasound to make sure that this is not something else. Renal cancer, in particular, can appear as vague flank, back or abdominal pain and is often not caught until too late.

That being said, here is some information about an IBS diet for you. If your symptoms dramatically disappear after the diet, then I wouldn't be too concerned, but if not, you need to be followed up:

warm regards

something is wrong with our chat. Is there any thing else I can help you with?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry - new to this. I've accepted your reply. Hopefully I don't have renal cancer but it's a good one to check out. I'm going back to my GP on Tuesday.

Do I take it from what you're saying that my nocturnal stomach pains aren't at odds with IBS? (Or diverticular problems) I have had back pains before with IBS but this night stuff is a bit new to me. The other stuff - and the wooziness - feels familiar.

Some say stay off fibre, others eat more. Very confusing. I assume if i'm constipated more is good.

more is good for constipation. As well, drink plenty of fluids.

You can get nocturnal pains with IBS and you may be noticing it more because you are resting and not occupied. But just get checked out- that is the wisest course of action.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much Dr. Cameron, I shall indeed get myself checked out.