IVY MD, Doctor
Experience:  USA trained physician in Internal Medicine, Critical Care, Anesthesiology, and Interventional Pain

74 year old woman relatively healthy. takes blood pressure

74 year old woman relatively healthy. takes blood pressure medicine. She really hasn't taken blood pressure medicine until a couple of years ago. She suddenly lost the ability to read. She can read a few words but its not fluent.
Category: Medical
Expert:  IVY MD replied 6 years ago.

This could be due to a small stroke in the area of the brain affecting vision. Have you seen a neurologist?

Have you seen a neurologist?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not yet. I was planning to make an appointment with her general doctor tomorrow.
Expert:  IVY MD replied 6 years ago.
That's a great idea. I would also recommend a neurologist so you can rule out a stroke in the brocas or wernickes areas of the brain that would affect speech and word interpretation. The significance is that if she had a small stroke she may have others if not treated for clots, etc to prevent this.