Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience:  Pediatrician, Board-certified in Hematology/Oncology
16877601

What does having watery blood mean Is it a need for concern

What does having watery blood mean? Is it a need for concern? My mother the other day pricked her finger to check her blood sugar and her blood gushed out liked water. It was not thick at all and just sqirted in the air like water? What can cause this to happen?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Louise Sivak, M.D. replied 3 years ago.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello, Is your mom on an anticoagulant or "blood thinner" such as coumadin? If so, she needs her PT and INR values checked. She should also have a CBC to make sure she is not anemic.

Customer :

No, she is not on any blood thinners. Her doctor last time said she was slightly anemic and said she would keep an eye on it.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Thanks. Likely not a cause for worry but would have your Mom get a CBC checked. Best,

Customer :

What could cause her red blood cell count to be low and I am worried because leukemia runs in our family. Would her PCP be able to determine why she is anemic?

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

The main cause for low hemoglobin is nutritional iron deficiency. Your Mom's PCP should be able to run basic tests and determine whether she is iron-deficient, and check for other possible issues as well. She should be eating lots of green vegatables (dietary source of iron).

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

How old is your Mom ? Does she have any medical problems other than diabetes? Another cause of iron deficiency and anemia in older persons is microscopic GI bleeding. Your Mom's PCP can tell whether that is more likely than just low iron intake from the pattern of her CBC and specifically what the red cells look like.

Customer :

She's 67 and she does not necessarily eat healthy like she should. Also, a few days ago, (I know this is not related to anemia) but her OB/GYN doctor told her that her uterus felt a little bigger, sent her for an ultrasound and said her endometrial lining was thick, and now wants her to go for a biopsy. So, I guess reading things on the internet makes me crazy, because it makes me think back like why did that happen or why did this happen or should she get checked for this or should she get checked for that?

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Thanks. I agree with her getting a biopsy. There is a lot of information on the Internet, some of it peer reviewed and good, some less so. If there is a specific issue or site you'd like me to review, i'm happy to do so. An endometrial biopsy after a screening CBC is where I'd recommend your Mom start.

Customer :

Thank You.

Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor
Experience: Pediatrician, Board-certified in Hematology/Oncology