IMDR06, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician and HIV Physician

I have noticed a body odor all of my life. It is getting worse

I have noticed a body odor all of my life. It is getting worse as I get older. I have tried everything and I mean everything. I am about to give up. I can,t get any cleaner. I have underarm odor, foot odor and hand odor. I have had tx from the doctor. I have no friends because I won't allow myself to get that close. I am now secluding myself from family so they won't smell me. I can barely make it through the day at work and it is all I think about the entire time. I do home health so I can go home to freshen up If I need to. What makes it even worse is that I am a female and people think that you are just unclean or unkept. I am desperate! HELP! PLEASE?!!!!

what does the body odor smell like?

have other people mentioned it, or do only you smell it?

Dr. Sciberras

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is a musty smell from my armpits and sometimes it fumes with a sting that makes your eyes burn. sometimes it just smells like smells like smelly feet or unwashed gym shoes. All lotions and any perfume no matter how mild is ten times stronger smelling on me. Other people do not say out loud that they smell me but their reaction shows. It is not in my mind. I see their behavior or the distance they keep from me. PLEASE HELP!

Sometimes strong odors can be associated either with diet (i.e. if you eat a lot of garlic or asparagus) or genetic disorders which do not allow the body to break down certain chemicals. I would suggest genetic testing in this case.

Also, showering with Hibiclens, if not already done so, is beneficial and using deodorants like Drysol.

Dr. Sciberras

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already use hibiclens on a daily basis. I do not eat garlic nor asparagus.I HAVE ALSO TRIED DRYSOL AND IT BURNS MY ARMPITS AND SCORCH MY SKIN.

Then in this case I would suggest genetic testing to see if you have any enzyme deficiencies.

Dr. Sciberras

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
WHAT SHOULD i ask my doctor to do. any specific test you recommend?

You would need to see a genetics specialist. They would know the exact tests to run, as to this kind of medicine gets very complicated.

Dr. Sciberras