Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What organ is right below the left breast

Customer Question

What organ is right below the left breast?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 years ago.

Immediately underneath the breast tissue are the pectoralis muscles. Then beneath the pectoralis muscles is the rib cage. Underneath the rib cage lies the heart and lungs. Any of these organs can cause pain in the area. Inflammation of the rib cage occurs more often than muscular pain involving the pectoralis muscles or an infection of the breast. There also can be left sided chest pain related to conditions of the heart and lungs. Some people can also feel pain in the left chest from diseases of the upper gut, such as ulcers, acid reflux, esophageal spasm, or pancreatitis. Ultimately, it would require an appropriate evaluation to determine the exact cause.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just can't seem to get answers from anyone, my cardiolist does't think it is my heart

as I has by pass surgery 3 years ago. But I am alot of pain.

If your Cardiologist is convinced that it is not your heart, your primary care doctor can assess for many of these other conditions, but a Gastroenterologist may be necessary to evaluate for causes of chest pain from the gut.