Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience:  MBBS DNB
25843817

After a hernia surgery, how long do I have to wait before I

Customer Question

After a hernia surgery, how long do I have to wait before I can have sex again?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 4 years ago.

skindoctor2000 :

hello

skindoctor2000 :

When did you have the surgery ?

skindoctor2000 :

was is it an Open Surgery or a surgery through a Endoscopy?

skindoctor2000 :
Although the skin wound heals within a week or two the inside tissues take longer to heal and this process can go on for 6 months or more. To avoid recurrence of hernia some precautions for a few months are always advocated and these include:

Avoid lifting heavy weights for a 3 to 4 months

Avoid smoking

Avoid straining when moving bowels

Avoid running up the stairs

Avoid strenuous exercises

Customer :

The surgery will be done only next Tuesday, i.e. 12 October

skindoctor2000 :

so to avoid a strain on the area of the hernia surgery site you should avoid sex for at least 6 to 8 weeks

skindoctor2000 :

ok...so you will have to follow the instructions as above

skindoctor2000 :

is it going to be a open surgery or one through an endoscope?

Customer :

6 to 8 weeks after the surgery, right?

Customer :

It's my boyfriend who's going to have the surgery

skindoctor2000 :

yes correct

Customer :

What's the difference between open surgery and endoscope?

skindoctor2000 :

ok , so you will need to avoid any form of strain on the site of surgery for 6 to 8 weeks minimum to avoid recurrence

Customer :

Will it make any difference in the time for open surgery and endoscope?

skindoctor2000 :

well open surgery is where the surgeon makes an incision along the inguinal area and the endoscopic surgery is done without the long incision but only via a key hole surgery

skindoctor2000 :

well ideally the open surgery done has more chance of a strain during sexual play as compared to the endoscopic however its better to avoid it generally to prevent reoocurence

skindoctor2000 :

do you agree with what i have mentioned above?

Customer :

Well, I'd say I am frustrated

skindoctor2000 :

what is the reason of your frustration

skindoctor2000 :

once the healing occurs it will never occur again

Customer :

Well, my bf and I are supposed to have a holiday together, and now this happened!

skindoctor2000 :

well its unfortunate that an hernia can present at any time as it is the result of the weakened walls of the inguinal tunnel

Customer :

Will some people recover faster than others and don't have to wait for 6-8 weeks?

skindoctor2000 :

well sorry that it doesnt work that way as it can result in him getting the hernia again and then he will have to undergo one more surgery

Customer :

OK, doctor, I got it

Customer :

Shall I just click "Accept" now?

skindoctor2000 :

yes you can

skindoctor2000 :

thanks for using just answer , if you have any other questions i would be pleased to answer them

Customer :

Thank you, doctor

Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience: MBBS DNB
your welcome. if you have any other questions . you can ask them at any time
Expert:  Dr. Shahzad MD replied 4 years ago.
Would just like to add a few things to what the doctor has already mentioned:

This is a very common question after surgery. The answer to this question varies from patient to patient and the symptoms that the patient experiences after surgery. The main thing that should be considered here is the pain. Let the pain be your guide. You may feel as though you have recovered from your surgery however you may experience pain when doing sexual intercourse. This is a way of your body telling you that it is not ready for sex and it probably needs more time to heal up. Having said that, in some case pain could be avoided by some minor changes in the posture that can be brought about by the patient when having sex. For instance if you feel pain when having sex when on top position you may try other positions.
Regards

Edited by Dr. Shahzad MD on 10/9/2010 at 2:54 PM EST