Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

How do I know the difference between gout pain or bunion pain.

How do I know the difference between gout pain or bunion pain. my foot hurts on the top of my big toe to the bunion. when I walk it hurts and it looks slightly swollen and little bit pink, but not bright red or overly swollen. My big toe hurts. I have had a sinus infection and have had to take a lot of asprin for relief of pain. help, it all hurts.
Greetings,

Since how long are you having the bunion? Where is it situated? Is it tender to touch? Where do you feel the pain most? Do you have gout? How is uric acid level? Any test taken?

Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I have had a bunion for a long time but it is not huge. I can wear normal shoes if they are med. to wide. It is situated on the side of my right foot just below the toe joint. about l/2 inch out. Yes, it is very tender to touch as well on the upper part of big toe down the joint.
I have not been to DR yet, just have been so sick with sinus, cough, herpes outbreak and now my toe. I am diabetic, and take 1 shot of levemir daily and metformain. blood sugar is 116 in the am when I get up. the toe evenhurts like the nail is involved. no ingrown toenails. don't eat very much meat, but hsave been eating cheese in my soups,enchiladas and peppers.? not much. I have been sick for 2 weeks with this sinus.
Thank you for the input.

When the bunion is very tender to touch it sounds that it is inflammed. But from the extent of pain it is likely that there is an associated inflammation of the joint as well. I think you should get an examination by doctor when aspirin is not helping. For decreasing the pain analgesics of the antiinflammatory group like indomethacin works well in case of gout. Sometimes steroid is also used but it can be a problem with your sugar level. When NSAIDs are not effective, or can not be tolerated colchicine may be used.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there anything I can do to eleviate the discomfort I am feeling now? ie Heat,Cold Foot up I can't seem to find a comfortable position./? Thanks
You can keep it elevated above the chest level. Application of ice can help too.