Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a burning sensation down left arm, with occasional pain

I have a burning sensation down left arm, with occasional pain under left breast. Also burning sensation behind base of my skull. Also, bulging blue vein on left arm
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Q. Any shortness of breath, palpitations, sweating?

Q. Dizziness or fever?

Q. Any swelling on the arm or a rash?

Q. Do you have any previously diagnosed medical conditions?

Q. Are you on any medication?

Q. Anything else you might want to add?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have been diagnosed as peri menopausal. I feel very hot all of the time, and sweat alot. Occasional slight dizzy feeling. I have short memory. I am not on any medication, except occasional sleeping medication. I have low blood pressure generally, but have had very high blood pressure.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 6 years ago.

Hi and thanks for the details.

Although paraesthesias (burning and tingling) are common in the peri menopausal period but having a history of blood pressure and tingling or burning on the left hand side and the left chest area should always be checked with an EKG just to rule out the possibility of having a Cardiac Event.

Though this does not seem to be cardiac in origin, I can say that because at the moment you do not have any symptoms of an ongoing cardiac event, which I ruled out on the Q and A.

This can be a consequence of a pinched nerve in the back of the neck, in the cervical area, since the burning is mostly in the region supplied by this bundle of nerves.

Such can happen when the muscles of the neck called the scalene group of muscles become spasmed due to stress, fatigue, odd postures etc. Or it can also occur due to vigorous activity or lying down on an out stretched hand.

I would suggest that you treat it as a muscle cramp for now. The way to do that is to avoid odd postures, hot compresses on the neck.

Please use anti inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) 600 mg thrice daily or Naproxen (Aleve) thrice daily and you should also try stretching exercises and perform restricted activities with the left arm.

A gentle massage with Froben or Dicloran gel is also very beneficial if done thrice daily. And last but not the least, keep yourself very well hydrated.

If this does not subside within the next 4 to 5 days with the above treatment then I would suggest you see your PCP for a clicnical evaluation and a comprehensive work up.

Hope this helps.

Please click ACCEPT to credit this assist. A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated. Best wishes.