Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

When Should I Go To The Emergency Room For Ear Pain?

Should I go to the emergency room because of an ear ache which will not go away?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Shah : Hello, Welcome to Just answer! I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How long are you having this pain? How severe is it on a scale of 1 to 10?

JACUSTOMER-ik9sexs1- : At the beginning of the week I got sinus pressure. This then turned into an ear ache in one ear which has migrated to the the other. It feels better in the morning and worse at night. Pain in morning is in the range of 1-2 and now is a 4-5 dull,constant pain. It feels like pressure.
Dr. Shah : Do you have any ear discharge or pain when you move it?
JACUSTOMER-ik9sexs1- : No discharge. Relief while its being moved and the pain returns when left alone.
Dr. Shah : Do you have fever, nausea, heartache or cough? Are you taking any treatment for your sinus problem?
JACUSTOMER-ik9sexs1- : No but when i swallow it gets better temporarily. I did use a netty pot the other day to try and clean sinuses.
Dr. Shah : Does it feel like pressure or fullness in your ear?
JACUSTOMER-ik9sexs1- : Yes pressure or fullness and I am not undergoing any treatment right now.
Dr. Shah : How is your throat and sinus problem now? Do you think it is getting better?
JACUSTOMER-ik9sexs1- : Yes it has gotten almost completely better. The ears or the ear pain is the only trouble now.
Dr. Shah : Thank you for the information, it looks like you had sinus problem initially which led to the development of ear pain symptoms as a part of complication. It is a good thing that you recovered from sinus issues

For your ear problem, I don't think that you need to rush to the ER because your pain is mild and you are in a recovery phase.

I would suggest you to take OTC decongestant medications for a few days along with steam inhalation at home and see if you start to feel better.

JACUSTOMER-ik9sexs1- : Ok. Should I take medication such as Sudafed or Benadryl? Can the steam be from boiling water?
Dr. Shah :

If your ear pain becomes severe or you have discharge leading to any other throat/sinus symptoms again, then you will have to see your doctor.

JACUSTOMER-ik9sexs1- : Ok, thank you.
That you for visiting JustAnswer.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.
Hi, This is Dr Stan and I will help you today. When did your ear start to hurt and is your hearing affected
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.
Do you have a fever, any trauma to your ear (s), is it one or both ears
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.
OK, since you have not responded, please follow with your local doctor.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 7 months ago.
This is Dr Stan. Have you gone to see a doctor for your ear pain? I trust I have been of some benefit to you in making a decision regarding your medical care. I would appreciate your rating to be a positive rating. Thsank you